Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

'PHP vs Perl'

FoR TrentFoR Trent Posts: 7Member
This isn't meant to be a small war between perl and php (:-)), Although I recently heard this:

'As far as I know PHP has quite a bit less security issues than Perl. It's much faster to use for web development and is better integrated with MySQL.'

I always heard the opposite. Did I comprehend what I heard wrong, or...?

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : This isn't meant to be a small war between perl and php (:-)),
    : Although I recently heard this:
    :
    : 'As far as I know PHP has quite a bit less security issues than
    : Perl. It's much faster to use for web development and is better
    : integrated with MySQL.'
    :
    : I always heard the opposite. Did I comprehend what I heard wrong,
    : or...?

I've said a lot on the subject in previous threads, here is one of them:-

http://www.programmersheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=31&MsgID=193753&Setting=A9999F0002

PHP has less security issues than Perl - I find this very hard to believe. Maybe Perl makes it easier to write an insecure script; indeed power comes at a price. Perl, as in Perl the program, from what I know has been pretty free of security issues. That's not to say people haven't written insecure Perl scripts.

As for integration with mysql, Perl's implementation is in my view preferable. With PHP the databaes modules are compiled into PHP. If you're going to use the database yeah, that's great. But if you're not planning on doing so, it's a waste of resources. Unless at the core it's modular, I wouldn't know. I'm not an internals hacker of PHP or Perl. Perl's support is modular though.

Perl's support is also based around a nice object model, PHP does it as a set of functions. To me, that's messy. To others, it's plesant. It's opinion.

Much faster...hard to say. An experienced Perl programmer can probably work just as fast as an experienced PHP programmer. It comes down to what you know.

Perl is also the only language I know of where pattern matching has it's own operator. Which, IMHO, is a Good Thing (tm). :-)

Later,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");