Array of strings... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Array of strings...

drew84drew84 Posts: 8Member
Hi, im pretty sure this is a very simple question but im very new to C and win api and im trying to figure out how to create an array of strings... ive used C++ and its very easy to do in it... but since there is "string" class that i could predefine im not sure how to do it...
right now im trying to use chars, but im not sure at all of how to create a array of strings and have it take input from a file... Any help would be greatly apprecaited thank you.

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : Hi, im pretty sure this is a very simple question but im very new to C and win api and im trying to figure out how to create an array of strings... ive used C++ and its very easy to do in it... but since there is "string" class that i could predefine im not sure how to do it...
    : right now im trying to use chars, but im not sure at all of how to create a array of strings and have it take input from a file... Any help would be greatly apprecaited thank you.
    :
    [code]
    [red]if you know the maximum number of strings
    then this is the simplest way to do it.[/red]

// maximum number of strings in the array
    #define MAX_NUMBER_STRINGS 1000
    // each string can contain this may characters
    #define MAX_STRING_SIZE 80
    char array[MAX_NUMBER_STRINGS][MAX_STRING_SIZE];

[red]If you don't know how may strings you need until
    runtime, then you can do this:[/red]

char **array;
    array = (char **)malloc(NumberStrings);
    for(i = 0; i < NumberStrings; i++)
    array[i] = malloc(MAX_STRING_SIZE);
    [/code]

• drew84drew84 Posts: 8Member
    Okay i understand those two implementations but for the top one (multi-dmimensional array?) how do i access it.. im going through and reading a file line by line and i wanna assign the values to it, im reading the file originally with a:
    char buffer[255];
    do i say:
    array[size++][??] = buffer;
    not sure what to put in ??, max string size? and if i do put in max string size i get an error error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'char [255]' to 'char'
    i really dont know how to manipulate chars at all in C.. im used to C++ and java... thanks for your help so far.

: [code]
    : [red]if you know the maximum number of strings
    : then this is the simplest way to do it.[/red]
    :
    : // maximum number of strings in the array
    : #define MAX_NUMBER_STRINGS 1000
    : // each string can contain this may characters
    : #define MAX_STRING_SIZE 80
    : char array[MAX_NUMBER_STRINGS][MAX_STRING_SIZE];
    :
    : [red]If you don't know how may strings you need until
    : runtime, then you can do this:[/red]
    :
    : char **array;
    : array = (char **)malloc(NumberStrings);
    : for(i = 0; i < NumberStrings; i++)
    : array[i] = malloc(MAX_STRING_SIZE);
    : [/code]
    :
    :

• WaltPWaltP Posts: 335Member
    : Okay i understand those two implementations but for the top one (multi-dmimensional array?) how do i access it.. im going through and reading a file line by line and i wanna assign the values to it, im reading the file originally with a:
    : char buffer[255];
    : do i say:
    : array[size++][??] = buffer;
    : not sure what to put in ??, max string size? and if i do put in max string size i get an error error C2440: '=' : cannot convert from 'char [255]' to 'char'
    : i really dont know how to manipulate chars at all in C.. im used to C++ and java... thanks for your help so far.

You have a loop or line counter [b]lp[/b] which keeps track of the lines read, then
    [b]strcpy(array[lp], buffer);[/b]
    will copy the buffer read to the array of strings.

Include string.h to define the string routines

----------------
    Walt