How do u Time a Demo!! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How do u Time a Demo!!

sam keasam kea Posts: 3Member
Who can help me and tell me how i can be able to make my software a Demo so that it can work for like 10 or 30 days.
Is there a component i have to learn in InstallShield Of VC++ or there is an unrevealed trick! Please Help Me.
kea

Comments

• CroWCroW Posts: 348Member
    hmm,do you mean,how to make a trial-version/shareware of your software? well,thats definitly NOT a topic for this channel,but i try to answer anyway (perhaps the moderator of this forum removes/moves my posting).

the basic idea is to get the date/time of the firsttime your code runs on a given machine.now you have to check the actual date/time each time your program starts and quit if the trial-period is over.implementing this is VERY easy,exspecially when you have a fixed date on which your code becomes invalid.

one thing last: with DEMO PROGRAMMING a kind of multimedia-art is meant.a demo is a little program showing some graphicly-effects like the old-school plasma,fire,water,etc or other animated things,showing the skillz of the coder and some times showing the powerfuller features of the gfx-hardware.
  • viki007viki007 Posts: 46Member
    : hmm,do you mean,how to make a trial-version/shareware of your software? well,thats definitly NOT a topic for this channel,but i try to answer anyway (perhaps the moderator of this forum removes/moves my posting).
    :
    : the basic idea is to get the date/time of the firsttime your code runs on a given machine.now you have to check the actual date/time each time your program starts and quit if the trial-period is over.implementing this is VERY easy,exspecially when you have a fixed date on which your code becomes invalid.
    :
    : one thing last: with DEMO PROGRAMMING a kind of multimedia-art is meant.a demo is a little program showing some graphicly-effects like the old-school plasma,fire,water,etc or other animated things,showing the skillz of the coder and some times showing the powerfuller features of the gfx-hardware.
    :
    hmmm... this thing is very easy to fool. if you just change the date you can use it forever!

[hr]
    by viki007

• ExtrasolarExtrasolar Posts: 79Member
    : : hmm,do you mean,how to make a trial-version/shareware of your software? well,thats definitly NOT a topic for this channel,but i try to answer anyway (perhaps the moderator of this forum removes/moves my posting).
    : :
    : : the basic idea is to get the date/time of the firsttime your code runs on a given machine.now you have to check the actual date/time each time your program starts and quit if the trial-period is over.implementing this is VERY easy,exspecially when you have a fixed date on which your code becomes invalid.
    : : one thing last: with DEMO PROGRAMMING a kind of multimedia-art is meant.a demo is a little program showing some graphicly-effects like the old-school plasma,fire,water,etc or other animated things,showing the skillz of the coder and some times showing the powerfuller features of the gfx-hardware.
    : hmmm... this thing is very easy to fool. if you just change the date you can use it forever!
    :
    :
    : [hr]
    : by viki007
    :
    :
    [purple]
    I'm not a brilliant programmer but I [italic]believe[/italic] that you can put a key in the registry or place a well hidden dll somewhere. Don't ask me how though.
    [/purple]

• MatkiengMatkieng Posts: 9Member
    : : : hmm,do you mean,how to make a trial-version/shareware of your software? well,thats definitly NOT a topic for this channel,but i try to answer anyway (perhaps the moderator of this forum removes/moves my posting).
    : : :
    : : : the basic idea is to get the date/time of the firsttime your code runs on a given machine.now you have to check the actual date/time each time your program starts and quit if the trial-period is over.implementing this is VERY easy,exspecially when you have a fixed date on which your code becomes invalid.
    : : : one thing last: with DEMO PROGRAMMING a kind of multimedia-art is meant.a demo is a little program showing some graphicly-effects like the old-school plasma,fire,water,etc or other animated things,showing the skillz of the coder and some times showing the powerfuller features of the gfx-hardware.
    : : hmmm... this thing is very easy to fool. if you just change the date you can use it forever!
    : : [hr]
    : : by viki007
    : [purple]
    : I'm not a brilliant programmer but I [italic]believe[/italic] that you can put a key in the registry or place a well hidden dll somewhere. Don't ask me how though.
    : [/purple]
    :
    :
    Are there any ways that we can insert some data in the program itself? I think this way we can protect the software more, but I don't really know if are there any way to do that.
  • CroWCroW Posts: 348Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by CroW at 2004-4-4 16:2:40[/red][/b][hr]
    Sure,there are lots of places to store you could use for data in the .exe.for example there are in most cases empty/unuses bytes in the win32-exe-header which you can use for youre data.another way is to put somewhere in youre code something like:

char str "UserData"

Now compile your program and do a hex-search for "UserData" in the binary.after that you can use this offset within your file to store data directly to the file.

note:

could be a bit difficult to get the right offset within the binary.it changes with nearly every change in the code or compiler-settings.and you cant encrypt/compress the compiled binary anymore