Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Copyright Issue

jogujogu Posts: 10Member
I would like to address this question to the person who is in charge of this message board(Phat Nat/Manning/zibadian ???).
You see, i frequently go to this site and it really helps me when i have programming problems. Now, I would just like to know if im free to use codes i obtained from here without violating any copyright stuffs or being accused of plagiarism. I dont know if you have already address this on your Agreement before registering but i wasnt able to read it properly. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : I would like to address this question to the person who is in charge of this message board(Phat Nat/Manning/zibadian ???).
    : You see, i frequently go to this site and it really helps me when i have programming problems. Now, I would just like to know if im free to use codes i obtained from here without violating any copyright stuffs or being accused of plagiarism. I dont know if you have already address this on your Agreement before registering but i wasnt able to read it properly. Thanks guys.
    :

If it is a piece of code that you wrote and they modified or something they were helping you with then that's fine. If it's something that someone else posted and is asking for help on, I would ask the person who posted the code. Personally, if I post any code, feel free to use it.

Except the following code is copyrighted ;)
    [code]
    PROGRAM Hello_World;

Begin
    WriteLn('Hello World!');
    End;
    [/code]

The reason this board is here is to share code. Don't take someone's code, change the name and charge for it. Most programmers are fairly easy going. If you are using a piece of their work in your code and charging for it, at least mention them in your credits/thank you.

My $0.02
    Phat Nat

PS - Manning is the moderator of this board

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : : I would like to address this question to the person who is in charge of this message board(Phat Nat/Manning/zibadian ???).
    : : You see, i frequently go to this site and it really helps me when i have programming problems. Now, I would just like to know if im free to use codes i obtained from here without violating any copyright stuffs or being accused of plagiarism. I dont know if you have already address this on your Agreement before registering but i wasnt able to read it properly. Thanks guys.

: If it is a piece of code that you wrote and they modified or something they were helping you with then that's fine. If it's something that someone else posted and is asking for help on, I would ask the person who posted the code. Personally, if I post any code, feel free to use it.
    :
    : The reason this board is here is to share code. Don't take someone's code, change the name and charge for it. Most programmers are fairly easy going. If you are using a piece of their work in your code and charging for it, at least mention them in your credits/thank you.

I agree with Phat Nat, people are posting here to help others and have to expect that other people are going to use any code they post.

As for copyright issues, don't worry about that. Nothing gets posted here that is so important that copyrights are an issue.

But if you are using code here to finish an assignment for school, plagiarism could definitely be an issue. The chance is remote, but if your teacher finds this site and sees code that resembles yours, you could be in trouble.

There have been times when I used someone elses code in an assignment, such as when I first learned to use vectors in C++, so all I did was give credit to that person with a link to the messageboard thread.

If you don't think your teacher would like you using someone elses code, my only suggestion is to make sure you know any code you use inside and out. So if (s)he comes to you and says "your code looks a lot like this stuff I found on the web...tell me why you did it this way" you can explain to him exactly what it does, and why, and since you can show you didnt just cut/paste some code in and you really understand it, that may be alright.