Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

HELP:3D chess board using Opengl????

dalbedalbe Member Posts: 8
hii...can someone plz help me design a 3D chess board using opengl for windows...i tried the net...got one but its too complex...i need it for my assignment....preferbly with comments...
thanks a million

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    How difficult is it to draw 64 squares with white and black colors ?

: hii...can someone plz help me design a 3D chess board using opengl for windows...i tried the net...got one but its too complex...i need it for my assignment....preferbly with comments...
    : thanks a million
    :

• dalbedalbe Member Posts: 8
    im a newbie to opengl so i donno much...plz help me if u can?

: How difficult is it to draw 64 squares with white and black colors ?
    :
    : : hii...can someone plz help me design a 3D chess board using opengl for windows...i tried the net...got one but its too complex...i need it for my assignment....preferbly with comments...
    : : thanks a million
    : :
    :
    :

• CroWCroW Member Posts: 348
    [b][red]This message was edited by CroW at 2003-6-23 12:23:53[/red][/b][hr]
    hi,

i suppose you know,how to init opengl and the basics on rendering stuff.
    the simplest way to create a chessboard is to draw a simple quad with a texture on it.the texture could easily calculated like this:

[CODE]
    unsigned int pTex[32*32];

for(int x = 0;x < 32;x++)
    for(int y = 0;y < 32;y++)
    if( (x < 16) && (y < 16) || (x > 16) && (y > 16))
    pTex[y*32+x] = 0xffffff;
    else
    pTex[y*32+x] = 0x000000;
    [/CODE]

you have to repeat this texture 8 times on each axis over the quad by setting the tex-coords from (0.0f,0.0f) to (8.0f,8.0f)

to give the board a little more 3d-look you could use more quads for the bottom and sides of the board.

another way (without texturing) is to draw 8x8 quads with alternating colors.

• dalbedalbe Member Posts: 8
    yo Crow,
    thank man