Perl Question - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Perl Question

erikinaerikina Posts: 6Member
For everyone that knows Perl

Is it worth learning?
Or would it be more benificial learning c++/c

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : For everyone that knows Perl
    :
    : Is it worth learning?

Yes! Perl is a very powerful test parsing language.

: Or would it be more benificial learning c++/c
    You have to understand Perl is a completely different programming language than C/C++. If you are wanting to build and compile applications, then C/C++ is your better language.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : For everyone that knows Perl
    :
    : Is it worth learning?
    Yep, sure is. Perl powers many web systems and is an excellent language for writing things like that. Perl is a glue language in many ways - you can sit a Perl script between a database server like MySQL and a web server (e.g. Apache) and make a nice interface between the two very easily. Additionally Perl is great for automating little jobs you need to do, especially those that involve text proccessing. I hacked together a few tools that saved me hours a few months back when I was migrating a system with thousands of users from one server to another, and from a flat file system to use the MySQL database server.

: Or would it be more benificial learning c++/c
    Depends what you want to do. Perl is great for many things, though there are situations where C or C++ might be more suitable. For example, if you want to write some kind of systems software that requires you to do something at a low level, or you need raw performance (not that Perl is bad).

Personally I found C/C++ too hard to get into. I'm currently learning C# though, which has enough Perlisms to keep me happy. And it's easier too (than C/C++, that is). ;-)

And of course, Perl is fun and there are lots of friendly Perl people out there who will give you help. I do my best to fit into that bracket. ;-)

Good luck with the Perl thing,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");