Perl Question - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Perl Question

erikinaerikina Posts: 6Member
For everyone that knows Perl

Is it worth learning?
Or would it be more benificial learning c++/c

Comments

• XfactorXfactor Posts: 343Member
    : For everyone that knows Perl
    :
    : Is it worth learning?

Yes! Perl is a very powerful test parsing language.

: Or would it be more benificial learning c++/c
    You have to understand Perl is a completely different programming language than C/C++. If you are wanting to build and compile applications, then C/C++ is your better language.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : For everyone that knows Perl
    :
    : Is it worth learning?
    Yep, sure is. Perl powers many web systems and is an excellent language for writing things like that. Perl is a glue language in many ways - you can sit a Perl script between a database server like MySQL and a web server (e.g. Apache) and make a nice interface between the two very easily. Additionally Perl is great for automating little jobs you need to do, especially those that involve text proccessing. I hacked together a few tools that saved me hours a few months back when I was migrating a system with thousands of users from one server to another, and from a flat file system to use the MySQL database server.

: Or would it be more benificial learning c++/c
    Depends what you want to do. Perl is great for many things, though there are situations where C or C++ might be more suitable. For example, if you want to write some kind of systems software that requires you to do something at a low level, or you need raw performance (not that Perl is bad).

Personally I found C/C++ too hard to get into. I'm currently learning C# though, which has enough Perlisms to keep me happy. And it's easier too (than C/C++, that is). ;-)

And of course, Perl is fun and there are lots of friendly Perl people out there who will give you help. I do my best to fit into that bracket. ;-)

Good luck with the Perl thing,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");