Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

A duplicate name exists on the network

justin_yhjustin_yh Member Posts: 13
Hi all,
I got trouble in using IIS. I use my computer to be a server of a website. Yesterday my computer is stack. Then after I reboot the computer, I (or other persons also)cannot connect to the website. When I open the IIS the status showed is "stopped". Then I try to "start" but there's an error message "A duplicate name exists on the network".
Please help me!
Regards,
Yulius

Comments

• raymcdraymcd Member Posts: 284
    : Hi all,
    : I got trouble in using IIS. I use my computer to be a server of a website. Yesterday my computer is stack. Then after I reboot the computer, I (or other persons also)cannot connect to the website. When I open the IIS the status showed is "stopped". Then I try to "start" but there's an error message "A duplicate name exists on the network".
    : Please help me!
    : Regards,
    : Yulius
    :
    Open the system item in the control panel. You need to rename the computer. Rename to a test string and the problem should go away. If you need the server to keep the name, find the other computer(s) with that name and rename those. It could be NT OR win9x.

-ray
  • justin_yhjustin_yh Member Posts: 13
    : Open the system item in the control panel. You need to rename the computer. Rename to a test string and the problem should go away. If you need the server to keep the name, find the other computer(s) with that name and rename those. It could be NT OR win9x.
    :
    : -ray
    :
    I have rename my computer but still not working. Usually if I want open the website via internet explorer, it's directly opened. But after the problem appear, before I can get into my website there's a box asking for username and password and domain. If I click OK then they load the localstart.asp page and a page more about HTTP 404 error. If I click cancel then "You are not authorized to view this page".

• raymcdraymcd Member Posts: 284
    : : Open the system item in the control panel. You need to rename the computer. Rename to a test string and the problem should go away. If you need the server to keep the name, find the other computer(s) with that name and rename those. It could be NT OR win9x.
    : :
    : : -ray
    : :
    : I have rename my computer but still not working. Usually if I want open the website via internet explorer, it's directly opened. But after the problem appear, before I can get into my website there's a box asking for username and password and domain. If I click OK then they load the localstart.asp page and a page more about HTTP 404 error. If I click cancel then "You are not authorized to view this page".
    :
    You need to modify the permissions for the folder that the web sits in and/or the actual web files. If the authentication itself is a problem, you can change the authentication settings in the MMC for IIS by right clicking the virtual folder for the web, selecting properties, and going to the directory security tab. There, you will choose the advanced but for authentication.

Is it possible that you are connecting to the wrong machine? You were getting duplicate name. Is the other machine(s) running IIS? and did you need to change the url to reflect your new name? If so, did you?

-Ray