Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

hax0ring Thumbs.db

ampedamped Posts: 5Member
Hi all,

I'd like to make a prog to view the contents of the windows thumbnail cache, Thumbs.db - but i have no idea as to the format

I've had a look with a hexeditor and i don't recognise anything much.. i found the list of image filenames, and the string RGB turns up a bit.. no handy JFIF or GIF89 :P

can anyone shed any light?

Comments

• bikibiki Posts: 492Member
    [green]
    1. Thumbs.db is a compound document file. Use the StgOpenStorage() function or StgCreateDocfile to open the file. See IStream and IStorage interfaces for more info.

2. The thumbnail images are stored as streams in the compound file. Streams are named digits, starting from 1. The list of streams and the corresponding "actual-file" are in a stream called 'Catalog'.

3. Images are stored in some wierd JPEG format.

4. Thats all i was able to hack.

HTH
    [/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

• cgcrutecgcrute Posts: 1Member
    I am looking into something similar, did either of you manage to progress this further?

Any help appreciated.

Chris

: [green]
    : 1. Thumbs.db is a compound document file. Use the StgOpenStorage() function or StgCreateDocfile to open the file. See IStream and IStorage interfaces for more info.
    :
    : 2. The thumbnail images are stored as streams in the compound file. Streams are named digits, starting from 1. The list of streams and the corresponding "actual-file" are in a stream called 'Catalog'.
    :
    : 3. Images are stored in some wierd JPEG format.
    :
    : 4. Thats all i was able to hack.
    :
    : HTH
    : [/green]
    : [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]
    :
    :