multiple viewports in one window - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

multiple viewports in one window

GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
How would you go about using one window and having multiple view ports on this window. I am trying to write a warcraft like game. There is going to be one viewport to display the map and all characters, another viewport that is an abstraction of the map, and the last viewport is going to be the rest of the screen which will contain a graphic (which surrounds the other viewports) and selectable menu buttons. I am guessing this will involve drawing the 2 map viewports first and then drawing the graphical menu over the rest of the screen but not drawing over the other viewports. Would it be easier to just use three seperate windows? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks,

-Geo

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    Hey,

Didn't really get exactly what you wanted but if I was going to have multiple viewports - I would use glViewport(..). About multiple windows vs one window, I would suggest you try both and stick to what you like best :)

: How would you go about using one window and having multiple view ports on this window. I am trying to write a warcraft like game. There is going to be one viewport to display the map and all characters, another viewport that is an abstraction of the map, and the last viewport is going to be the rest of the screen which will contain a graphic (which surrounds the other viewports) and selectable menu buttons. I am guessing this will involve drawing the 2 map viewports first and then drawing the graphical menu over the rest of the screen but not drawing over the other viewports. Would it be easier to just use three seperate windows? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks,
    :
    : -Geo
    :

• GeoHoffmanGeoHoffman Posts: 176Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by GeoHoffman at 2003-6-10 13:39:24[/red][/b][hr]
    Hello Guatam. Thank you for your reply. More specifically: I am developing a warcraft like game for fun. As in warcraft there will be a main viewport which contains most of the scene. It will show all the terain, characters, resources, etc. There will also be another viewport which has a map. The user can select different parts of the map and the main viewport will update accordingly. Then I also want a border that goes around both of these two viewports. This border will have selectable menu items like: build a structure, deploy troops, game menu. quit, etc.

My question was this; should this be done with multiple viewports or should I just use more than one window to display each part. How would you go about acomplishing this?