IDLE starter - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

IDLE starter

faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
Hi,
I have downloaded the python 2.2.2 installer from pythin.org. The command line thingy is working but GUI thing (IDLE) isn't . When I click Start -> Programs -> Python -> IDLE , nothing happens .
Was it anything to do with my installation ? I am on WinNt 4.0

Any thoughts ?

Faustine
--------

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi,
    : I have downloaded the python 2.2.2 installer from pythin.org. The command line thingy is working but GUI thing (IDLE) isn't . When I click Start -> Programs -> Python -> IDLE , nothing happens .
    : Was it anything to do with my installation ? I am on WinNt 4.0

Can you check the properties of the IDLE shortcut? It should have a target like:

C:Python22pythonw.exe "C:Python22Toolsidleidle.pyw"

If that's ok, make sure you have both of those files, the python2 executable and the idle.pyw script.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
    Hi ,
    Looks like I have both the files in the folder.But the idle.pyw file is just 4kb and idle.py is like 1kb . Something wrong ?. When I Click on
    the pyw file through explorer , the hdd light blinks for a while and then .. Nothing happens.Should I do a reinstall ?
    Thanks .
    Faustine
    --------

: : Hi,
    : : I have downloaded the python 2.2.2 installer from pythin.org. The command line thingy is working but GUI thing (IDLE) isn't . When I click Start -> Programs -> Python -> IDLE , nothing happens .
    : : Was it anything to do with my installation ? I am on WinNt 4.0
    :
    : Can you check the properties of the IDLE shortcut? It should have a target like:
    :
    : C:Python22pythonw.exe "C:Python22Toolsidleidle.pyw"
    :
    : If that's ok, make sure you have both of those files, the python2 executable and the idle.pyw script.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

• faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
    Now that I have installed the win32 extensions , I have pythonwin running.That's enough for me . I will come back with my silly doubts once I start to play with it.
    Thanks
    Faustine
    --------

: : Hi,
    : : I have downloaded the python 2.2.2 installer from pythin.org. The command line thingy is working but GUI thing (IDLE) isn't . When I click Start -> Programs -> Python -> IDLE , nothing happens .
    : : Was it anything to do with my installation ? I am on WinNt 4.0
    :
    : Can you check the properties of the IDLE shortcut? It should have a target like:
    :
    : C:Python22pythonw.exe "C:Python22Toolsidleidle.pyw"
    :
    : If that's ok, make sure you have both of those files, the python2 executable and the idle.pyw script.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Now that I have installed the win32 extensions , I have pythonwin running.That's enough for me . I will come back with my silly doubts once I start to play with it.

Cool. I've never had a problem with IDLE like that. Very odd. PythonWin is better anyways.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]