Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

IDLE starter

faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
Hi,
I have downloaded the python 2.2.2 installer from pythin.org. The command line thingy is working but GUI thing (IDLE) isn't . When I click Start -> Programs -> Python -> IDLE , nothing happens .
Was it anything to do with my installation ? I am on WinNt 4.0

Any thoughts ?

Faustine
--------

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi,
    : I have downloaded the python 2.2.2 installer from pythin.org. The command line thingy is working but GUI thing (IDLE) isn't . When I click Start -> Programs -> Python -> IDLE , nothing happens .
    : Was it anything to do with my installation ? I am on WinNt 4.0

Can you check the properties of the IDLE shortcut? It should have a target like:

C:Python22pythonw.exe "C:Python22Toolsidleidle.pyw"

If that's ok, make sure you have both of those files, the python2 executable and the idle.pyw script.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
    Hi ,
    Looks like I have both the files in the folder.But the idle.pyw file is just 4kb and idle.py is like 1kb . Something wrong ?. When I Click on
    the pyw file through explorer , the hdd light blinks for a while and then .. Nothing happens.Should I do a reinstall ?
    Thanks .
    Faustine
    --------

: : Hi,
    : : I have downloaded the python 2.2.2 installer from pythin.org. The command line thingy is working but GUI thing (IDLE) isn't . When I click Start -> Programs -> Python -> IDLE , nothing happens .
    : : Was it anything to do with my installation ? I am on WinNt 4.0
    :
    : Can you check the properties of the IDLE shortcut? It should have a target like:
    :
    : C:Python22pythonw.exe "C:Python22Toolsidleidle.pyw"
    :
    : If that's ok, make sure you have both of those files, the python2 executable and the idle.pyw script.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

• faustinegeorgefaustinegeorge Posts: 351Member
    Now that I have installed the win32 extensions , I have pythonwin running.That's enough for me . I will come back with my silly doubts once I start to play with it.
    Thanks
    Faustine
    --------

: : Hi,
    : : I have downloaded the python 2.2.2 installer from pythin.org. The command line thingy is working but GUI thing (IDLE) isn't . When I click Start -> Programs -> Python -> IDLE , nothing happens .
    : : Was it anything to do with my installation ? I am on WinNt 4.0
    :
    : Can you check the properties of the IDLE shortcut? It should have a target like:
    :
    : C:Python22pythonw.exe "C:Python22Toolsidleidle.pyw"
    :
    : If that's ok, make sure you have both of those files, the python2 executable and the idle.pyw script.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Now that I have installed the win32 extensions , I have pythonwin running.That's enough for me . I will come back with my silly doubts once I start to play with it.

Cool. I've never had a problem with IDLE like that. Very odd. PythonWin is better anyways.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]