Anyone here actually a programmer?

[purple]
Is only 20% of the people here actually programmers? It seems that about 1 in 5 posts are asking for programmes to be written for them. If you want to learn to programme then try writing code for yourself. It actually helps you know. You don't learn to drive by asking a passer by to drive the car for you.

Do yourselves a favour and put some effort into learning it.

Rant ends.
[/purple]

Comments

• Since this is a rant thread, here's another one. Please stop posting the same question on all the discussion boards. Its not necessary to post it everywhere -- one place will do. posting on more than one board actual reduces the probablility that anyone will answer it.
  • [b][red]This message was edited by siskomike at 2003-5-31 17:8:19[/red][/b][hr]
    If you never saw no one drive, then how would you know how to push the gas peddle??? If you're not sure how to do something... then what do you do, try and guess how something is supposed to be written...Im sure you were born knowing how everything works but some of us weren't. And why would you care??? Why are you reading anything on this message board if that is your attitude towards learners???????

: [purple]
    : Is only 20% of the people here actually programmers? It seems that about 1 in 5 posts are asking for programmes to be written for them. If you want to learn to programme then try writing code for yourself. It actually helps you know. You don't learn to drive by asking a passer by to drive the car for you.
    :
    : Do yourselves a favour and put some effort into learning it.
    :
    : Rant ends.
    : [/purple]
    :

• : If you never saw no one drive, then how would you know how to push the gas peddle??? If you're not sure how to do something... then what do you do, try and guess how something is supposed to be written...Im sure you were born knowing how everything works but some of us weren't. And why would you care??? Why are you reading anything on this message board if that is your attitude towards learners???????
    :

[blue]You missed the point. You can't learn to write programs by asking someone else to write them for you. Ask all the questions you want but you have to learn to do the work. Yes, it is very confusing at first and we all go through that learning curve. If something is confusing to you, post an example and fire away at the questions. Write yourself a small simple example program to see how something works. You will be doing that one your whole career -- I still do it when I come across something I don't understand.[/blue]
  • [red]
    Well!
    A little bit intresting this is... I think that when an exprienced programmer like the one who posted first message of this thread, or anyone who is knowing everything comes to face such questions like [/red]

[blue][b]How to Detect Mouse? (Send Some Code)[/b][/blue]

Then he gets annoyed. But there are two aspects, first of all showing how to setup a mouse is really something impossible. You can not tell him the port numbers and the intreupts to call. If someone asks some question and in brackets, he requests some code, then infact for himself, he is trying to make sure that he may get a to the point Solution.
    But I admit that there are other guys that just ask like:

[blue][b]Help needed in Assignment![/b][/blue]

Then they certianly do not derserve sympathy!
    Lastly,
    Be polite to begginers, as we have to teach them. Whatever the silly they are asking, we have to reply them properly. I got a lot from this forum, and it consider it my ethical duty to reply anyone who is not answred. Only Reason for not replying anyone is that I may not know about the Topic
    Thats all

• [purple]
    I'm sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. I don't mean to discourage beginners. We were all beginners at some point and even I'm not great programmer at the moment. It's just that when people ask:

[blue][b]"I need a program to do this by tommorow morning, please mail the code."[/b][/blue]

Have they actually done any of it themselves? Are they actually learning to program?

In response to [b]siskomike[/b], of course I care. I wouldn't be answering peoples questions if I didn't care. I wasn't born knowing everything, I just learn by reading, experimenting and asking questions like everyone else. I learned to drive by being taught and trying for myself. I didn't ask the teacher to take my lessons and my test for me, and if I hadn't of done it myself I would never have learnt.

My point is please try yourself first and if you can't do it, paste some of the code and ask specific questions on it. There is almost always someone here knowledgeable enough to give the advice and / or correct misatkes.
    [purple]
  • I agree with everything that has been said, except the first post.... ""80%"" of the posts arent ""do this and do that"", or homework assingnments, i havent read through all the posts yet but ive seen about 2% are like that. I didnt think what you said was harsh, only the % you said it too, cuz in that case i would be for sure in that group, thats why i replied to your message. But who cares pointless arguement, there are those who want to learn and those who want to pass a course...the two different type of programmers.

THE END

• :... there are those who want to learn and those who want to pass a course...the two different type of programmers.

Only the former is a programmer, the latter is what is known as a "consultant" ;-) LOL!

Will
  • Hey in reply to all these post i have come to the conclusion that this is pointless! If there is someone who needs code then:
    1. He won't read this thread
    2. Even if he accedently clicked on this thread, he would just ignore it and ask his question!

I myself am a beginner... Next to me is a big book about C++ ... next to that a few other books including VB beginners book!

I myself have never asked a question like: I need the code for....
    If i stumble accross something i don't know then I go experiment.
    If I still can't find it then I will post on the board... I personaly LIKE finding out those things myself. That's because it's a hoby of mine! For me, a code has no use when I don't understand it... So I only like solutions I can make myself!

But enough of this... Like I said: quite pointless but amusing!

Greets...
    Richard

• I agree, I also like to experiment when trying to solve a problem. I have been a member on these boards for a long time, and the first ttime I ever asked a question here was this morning, I prefer to find answers for myself. But when I have tried to do something 30-40 times and failed what I am trying to do... I am going to look for help to try and figure out what I am doing wrong. I am also a new programmer to c++ but I have been programming basic since 1993. So I know what its like to having a learning curve. When A person has been coding in a language for 10 years and they try to learn a totally different language, sometimes it can be difficult because you are used to doing it one way and it has to be done another way.

: Hey in reply to all these post i have come to the conclusion that this is pointless! If there is someone who needs code then:
    : 1. He won't read this thread
    : 2. Even if he accedently clicked on this thread, he would just ignore it and ask his question!
    :
    : I myself am a beginner... Next to me is a big book about C++ ... next to that a few other books including VB beginners book!
    :
    : I myself have never asked a question like: I need the code for....
    : If i stumble accross something i don't know then I go experiment.
    : If I still can't find it then I will post on the board... I personaly LIKE finding out those things myself. That's because it's a hoby of mine! For me, a code has no use when I don't understand it... So I only like solutions I can make myself!
    :
    : But enough of this... Like I said: quite pointless but amusing!
    :
    : Greets...
    : Richard
    :
    :

• [b][red]This message was edited by siskomike at 2003-6-2 16:43:7[/red][/b][hr]
    [blue]
    I like to solve problems myself aswell, i find it rewarding, but this message board, its so damn tempting... all the answers a beginner needs, it's so hard to resist sometimes. It also gets very annoying playing around with code sometimes...like when you start getting more errors, and you end up right where you started from, and then the cycle begins again...But when i solve problems myself, its a lot easier to remember the mistake, since you solved it yourself, where as when you ask for an answer, you just type it in, and perhaps not fully understanding it.

[/blue]

: I agree, I also like to experiment when trying to solve a problem. I have been a member on these boards for a long time, and the first ttime I ever asked a question here was this morning, I prefer to find answers for myself. But when I have tried to do something 30-40 times and failed what I am trying to do... I am going to look for help to try and figure out what I am doing wrong. I am also a new programmer to c++ but I have been programming basic since 1993. So I know what its like to having a learning curve. When A person has been coding in a language for 10 years and they try to learn a totally different language, sometimes it can be difficult because you are used to doing it one way and it has to be done another way.
    :
    : : Hey in reply to all these post i have come to the conclusion that this is pointless! If there is someone who needs code then:
    : : 1. He won't read this thread
    : : 2. Even if he accedently clicked on this thread, he would just ignore it and ask his question!
    : :
    : : I myself am a beginner... Next to me is a big book about C++ ... next to that a few other books including VB beginners book!
    : : I myself have never asked a question like: I need the code for....
    : : If i stumble accross something i don't know then I go experiment.
    : : If I still can't find it then I will post on the board... I personaly LIKE finding out those things myself. That's because it's a hoby of mine! For me, a code has no use when I don't understand it... So I only like solutions I can make myself!
    : : But enough of this... Like I said: quite pointless but amusing!
    : : Greets...
    : : Richard
    :
    :

• : I agree, I also like to experiment when trying to solve a problem. I have been a member on these boards for a long time, and the first ttime I ever asked a question here was this morning, I prefer to find answers for myself. But when I have tried to do something 30-40 times and failed what I am trying to do... I am going to look for help to try and figure out what I am doing wrong. I am also a new programmer to c++ but I have been programming basic since 1993. So I know what its like to having a learning curve. When A person has been coding in a language for 10 years and they try to learn a totally different language, sometimes it can be difficult because you are used to doing it one way and it has to be done another way.

I must agree. I learned VB6 now, and it has become quite easy to me.

Now I am still learning C++ with MFC.... But I like to experiment, in both languages!

Greets...
    Richard

• : [b][red]This message was edited by siskomike at 2003-6-2 16:43:7[/red][/b][hr]
    : [blue]
    : I like to solve problems myself aswell, i find it rewarding, but this message board, its so damn tempting... all the answers a beginner needs, it's so hard to resist sometimes. It also gets very annoying playing around with code sometimes...like when you start getting more errors, and you end up right where you started from, and then the cycle begins again...But when i solve problems myself, its a lot easier to remember the mistake, since you solved it yourself, where as when you ask for an answer, you just type it in, and perhaps not fully understanding it.
    :
    : [/blue]

Yeah... it is rewarding now isn't it...

But it's very easy for me to say because I am programming as a hobby and if I can't code a project, I leave it behind me for some time and get back to it later when I think I am up to the task!
    (PS: I almost never ask code... Usually just one function or so)

Greets...
    Richard

• :
    :
    : :... there are those who want to learn and those who want to pass a course...the two different type of programmers.
    :
    :
    : Only the former is a programmer, the latter is what is known as a "consultant" ;-) LOL!
    :

I'd say it differently.

Only the former shall find help from a programmer.
    The latter would better hire a consultant.

-AF

• : [red]
    : Well!
    : A little bit intresting this is... I think that when an exprienced programmer like the one who posted first message of this thread, or anyone who is knowing everything comes to face such questions like [/red]
    :
    : [blue][b]How to Detect Mouse? (Send Some Code)[/b][/blue]
    :
    : Then he gets annoyed. But there are two aspects, first of all showing how to setup a mouse is really something impossible. You can not tell him the port numbers and the intreupts to call. If someone asks some question and in brackets, he requests some code, then infact for himself, he is trying to make sure that he may get a to the point Solution.
    : But I admit that there are other guys that just ask like:
    :
    : [blue][b]Help needed in Assignment![/b][/blue]
    :
    : Then they certianly do not derserve sympathy!
    : Lastly,
    : Be polite to begginers, as we have to teach them. Whatever the silly they are asking, we have to reply them properly. I got a lot from this forum, and it consider it my ethical duty to reply anyone who is not answred. Only Reason for not replying anyone is that I may not know about the Topic
    : Thats all
    :
    :

i think mohsinali definitely had the best description of the ideas of most if not all experienced programmers on this board, from what i've seen. i personally ask for guidance when i need it, but i'd rather not ask someone for the whole code. for example, i might post what i've been trying, and ask if there's any advice on how to modify my algorithm a bit, etc. but i don't just say, someone please write a program that will do x for me? that's the difference between people being happy to help, and people getting annoyed at questions that don't really belong here, as this board is to help learn more than anything.
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet-Tooth Tony (Snatch)