Background Process Exiting On Logout... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Background Process Exiting On Logout...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
OK, I'm fairly decent at Linux and havebeen doing it for years. I use only true Linux (the shell, no X-Win) and run boxes which contain only an ethernet card, motherboard, CPU, and RAM. That's all I need for running a server of any kind.

Now, I recently downloaded the latest Half-Life dedicated server and thought I'd host a server again (I used to host a HL server 24/7 on the same box). However, there has been nothing but a huge platter of problems with this new version (thanks again, Valve!) and I guess it's up to me to fix them or make Linux force the app to work. Here's the current list of what I need help doing.

1) If I start the server with an ampersand on the tail-end, telling it to run in the background, the job instantly pauses, and using "bg" does not make it resume.

2) If I start it without an ampersand and let it get through long enough to load the first map, and then press ctrl+z followed by "bg", it will run in the background, but only until I logout, which is when it spikes to 99.9% CPU usage and does nothing.

I've tried screen and several other way of making this app work, and it will not. I can't leave my SSH client open on my box 24/7. That's like using my P4 and my older Celeron Linux box to run one dang game! Any ideas on what could be causing this, such as my Linux box deciding not to run bg tasks anymore?

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• tihomirtihomir Posts: 65Member
    Try to `strace' it, maybe the `fork( )' fails...

: OK, I'm fairly decent at Linux and havebeen doing it for years. I use only true Linux (the shell, no X-Win) and run boxes which contain only an ethernet card, motherboard, CPU, and RAM. That's all I need for running a server of any kind.
    :
    : Now, I recently downloaded the latest Half-Life dedicated server and thought I'd host a server again (I used to host a HL server 24/7 on the same box). However, there has been nothing but a huge platter of problems with this new version (thanks again, Valve!) and I guess it's up to me to fix them or make Linux force the app to work. Here's the current list of what I need help doing.
    :
    : 1) If I start the server with an ampersand on the tail-end, telling it to run in the background, the job instantly pauses, and using "bg" does not make it resume.
    :
    : 2) If I start it without an ampersand and let it get through long enough to load the first map, and then press ctrl+z followed by "bg", it will run in the background, but only until I logout, which is when it spikes to 99.9% CPU usage and does nothing.
    :
    : I've tried screen and several other way of making this app work, and it will not. I can't leave my SSH client open on my box 24/7. That's like using my P4 and my older Celeron Linux box to run one dang game! Any ideas on what could be causing this, such as my Linux box deciding not to run bg tasks anymore?
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : Try to `strace' it, maybe the `fork( )' fails...
    Nope, it was EXACTLY what I was 99% sure it was, Valve Software ruins yet another product! In fact I emailed them and flat out let them know I am VERY displeased with what they've done to Half-Life and now the server, and they replied saying they accidentally leaked 3111, and that I needed 3110, along with a nice appology that I may post on my clan website. Now 3110 runs smooth as silk. Hasn't even touched 50% memory usage yet, and it's been up for 24hrs.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]