Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Finding x,y,z of part of line intersecting with plane...

GuybrushNivekGuybrushNivek Member Posts: 4
Hi all...

Can anyone help me find the line-plane intersection answer?

I have looked a bit at the web and a lot are presenting the formulas involved, but I need to know what elements within the formula mean...as an example, I need the technique in knowing :

how to find the point of intersection, if I know the points on a line,

L1(x , y , z) and L2(x , y , z) and

I think I know how to get the information for a plane stored, using a triangle I know lies on the plane, I get the vector perpendicular to this plane and normalise it, giving me

N(x , y , z),

But I dont know how to apply this information to get the point of intersection between the line and the plane...can anyone help?

Comments

• chick80chick80 Member Posts: 349
    If I remember well there is a sample in the DX SDK that handles that (it's the frustum-culling sample).
    If you don't have the SDK and don't want to download it I can send you only the sample.

nICO

[hr]
    [italic]How beautiful, if sorrow had not made Sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    JOHN KEATS

• GuybrushNivekGuybrushNivek Member Posts: 4
    : If I remember well there is a sample in the DX SDK that handles that (it's the frustum-culling sample).
    : If you don't have the SDK and don't want to download it I can send you only the sample.
    :
    : nICO
    :
    : [hr]
    : [italic]How beautiful, if sorrow had not made Sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    : JOHN KEATS
    :

Well, actually I am coding the routine myself in BlitzBasic2D...I am trying to learn most aspects of 3D, since it presents itself as a challenge. I am assuming that you are speaking of a DirectX Function?
  • chick80chick80 Member Posts: 349
    No, it's just an algorithm that uses nothing D3D specific. (well, it uses D3D vector and plane classes, but you can change it with yours).

It also refers to this link, where they explain how to determine if a point it's outside of a polygon, and then they 'port' it in 3D.

http://forum.swarthmore.edu/dr.math/problems/scott5.31.96.html

Hope this helps!

PS: you'll need some matrix knowledge to actually understand how it is done.

nICO

[hr]
    [italic]How beautiful, if sorrow had not made Sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    JOHN KEATS

• GuybrushNivekGuybrushNivek Member Posts: 4
    : PS: you'll need some matrix knowledge to actually understand how it is done.

Well, thats me out then LOL...That'll come later tho...thanks anyways :-)