Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Fat 32 and Linux

I have converted my HD in Fat 32 format. Unfortunately right after this all information that was stored on dos partitions has disappeared from viewing it from LINUX RadHat 6.0. I've tried reinstall Linux and mounted dos partitions, but it did not give me any positive results. All information I save on dos partition in Linux is not visible in Dos/Windows and visa versa. Dose any body may give me some advise how to solve this problem.

Comments

• Hi!

You're probably trying to mount it as a FAT16 partion, that is, (if your win95 partion is on /dev/hda1, that is the first partion on your hard drive)

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/?????

you need to specify a different value for the partion type.... i can't remember what it is, but you need to change your /etc/fstab file too....

just type man mount and find the partion type for fast32.. sorry but im reasonably new to linux, i understand it and all, but can't remember things off the top of my head... remember that yoou'll need to change your /etc/fstab if you've editied this to shortcut mount your hard drive...

sorry, i am forgetting... i'm 15, im at sachool at the moment, the only linux box i know of is 15km away at my house, i will find out tonight for you...

:)

: I have converted my HD in Fat 32 format. Unfortunately right after this all information that was stored on dos partitions has disappeared from viewing it from LINUX RadHat 6.0. I've tried reinstall Linux and mounted dos partitions, but it did not give me any positive results. All information I save on dos partition in Linux is not visible in Dos/Windows and visa versa. Dose any body may give me some advise how to solve this problem.

• You must mount the Partition with type vfat.

Maybe you are using a too old kernel?

: Hi!

: You're probably trying to mount it as a FAT16 partion, that is, (if your win95 partion is on /dev/hda1, that is the first partion on your hard drive)

: mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/?????

: you need to specify a different value for the partion type.... i can't remember what it is, but you need to change your /etc/fstab file too....

:

: just type man mount and find the partion type for fast32.. sorry but im reasonably new to linux, i understand it and all, but can't remember things off the top of my head... remember that yoou'll need to change your /etc/fstab if you've editied this to shortcut mount your hard drive...

:

: sorry, i am forgetting... i'm 15, im at sachool at the moment, the only linux box i know of is 15km away at my house, i will find out tonight for you...

: :)

: : I have converted my HD in Fat 32 format. Unfortunately right after this all information that was stored on dos partitions has disappeared from viewing it from LINUX RadHat 6.0. I've tried reinstall Linux and mounted dos partitions, but it did not give me any positive results. All information I save on dos partition in Linux is not visible in Dos/Windows and visa versa. Dose any body may give me some advise how to solve this problem.

• : I have converted my HD in Fat 32 format. Unfortunately right after this all information that was stored on dos partitions has disappeared from viewing it from LINUX RadHat 6.0. I've tried reinstall Linux and mounted dos partitions, but it did not give me any positive results. All information I save on dos partition in Linux is not visible in Dos/Windows and visa versa. Dose any body may give me some advise how to solve this problem.

I think you need something called Joliet or Joliette

file system support compiled into the kernel or as

module to be able to use FAT32

• It IS vfat ??? I use this to mount FAT16 drives so I can use Win95's long filenames succesfully, none of that tilde crap. Hmmn, you learn something every day :)

: You must mount the Partition with type vfat.

: Maybe you are using a too old kernel?

: : Hi!

: : You're probably trying to mount it as a FAT16 partion, that is, (if your win95 partion is on /dev/hda1, that is the first partion on your hard drive)

: : mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/?????

: : you need to specify a different value for the partion type.... i can't remember what it is, but you need to change your /etc/fstab file too....

: :

: : just type man mount and find the partion type for fast32.. sorry but im reasonably new to linux, i understand it and all, but can't remember things off the top of my head... remember that yoou'll need to change your /etc/fstab if you've editied this to shortcut mount your hard drive...

: :

: : sorry, i am forgetting... i'm 15, im at sachool at the moment, the only linux box i know of is 15km away at my house, i will find out tonight for you...

: : :)

:

: : : I have converted my HD in Fat 32 format. Unfortunately right after this all information that was stored on dos partitions has disappeared from viewing it from LINUX RadHat 6.0. I've tried reinstall Linux and mounted dos partitions, but it did not give me any positive results. All information I save on dos partition in Linux is not visible in Dos/Windows and visa versa. Dose any body may give me some advise how to solve this problem.

• yeah, as said in the other posts you have to mount it as vfat. you can do this in your /etc/rc.d/init.d/ files if you can't be bothered mounting it each time.

bash# mount /dev/hda1 /win -t vfat

bash#

that should work fine, when /dev/hda1 is your windows partition and /win is the mounting point, ie the directory.

latez.