Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

BeOS, Win95/NT4 Desktop Interface for XFREE86

If anybody is interested in starting a new desktop interface that looks and acts like a Windows 95, NT4 desktop, only without it crashing so much, please e-mail me. I'm hoping to make a BeOS [www.be.com] desktop that looks just like the Be GUI.

Comments

• : If anybody is interested in starting a new desktop interface that looks and acts like a Windows 95, NT4 desktop, only without it crashing so much, please e-mail me. I'm hoping to make a BeOS [www.be.com] desktop that looks just like the Be GUI.

Why dont you simply get Enlightenment at

www.enlightenment.org

you can make it looks win95/BeOS etc etc

checkout e.themes.org

• Yea, i checked that e.themes.org thing out, about the Be Theme. I would like to create a new Desktop Interface that looks exactly like Be. The Be Theme still has X Windows components. I do like these themes, i guess i will just stick to those.

: : If anybody is interested in starting a new desktop interface that looks and acts like a Windows 95, NT4 desktop, only without it crashing so much, please e-mail me. I'm hoping to make a BeOS [www.be.com] desktop that looks just like the Be GUI.

:

: Why dont you simply get Enlightenment at

: www.enlightenment.org

: you can make it looks win95/BeOS etc etc

: checkout e.themes.org

• Sure you could code your own windows manager

and hardcode the widgets in the window manager

but you wouldnt be able to avoid using the

Xlib

• Hmmn, could you just modify a current window manager... it's all released under the GPL, isn't it?? A friend reading this told me to say to use FVWM2 (hahahahahaha) doesn't it suck badly though?

BTW is it just me or in enlightenment 0.15 it is HEAPS different than enlightenment 0.14... no desktop and stuff...

and you mentioned it crashes a lot.. are you using redhat 5.2 or earlier (or maybe another distrubution!!!) I just got redhat 6.0 and it runs SO MUCH SMOOTHER... takes up a odd 100 meg more, but it's worth it :)

• : Hmmn, could you just modify a current window manager... it's all released under the GPL, isn't it?? A friend reading this told me to say to use FVWM2 (hahahahahaha) doesn't it suck badly though?

: BTW is it just me or in enlightenment 0.15 it is HEAPS different than enlightenment 0.14... no desktop and stuff...

: and you mentioned it crashes a lot.. are you using redhat 5.2 or earlier (or maybe another distrubution!!!) I just got redhat 6.0 and it runs SO MUCH SMOOTHER... takes up a odd 100 meg more, but it's worth it :)

Enlightenment 0.15 is different from 0.14

but you should look at the current CVS version of

Enlightenment, it has a lot more stuff

FVWM isnt bad, I mean yes it is, but its fast

way faster than EEnligtenment, E is a memory sucker

how better is RH6.0 from RH5.2 ?

Im using RH ever since 4.x, I never upgraded my

distro, I mostly upgraded everything myself

which I think is better that way, I installed

like, the kernel, ftp , and GCC, and built verything

else , and keep upgrading my stuff mostly from CVS stuff

• yes, I have to agree :)

I have redhat 6, and it crashes heaps. so i loaded on 5.2, built up the lastest kernel, compilers rpm's 'n stuff, and it runs a heck of a lot smoother and stable than 6.0. I also get a problem with my mouse in 6.0, it keeps dying on me, even though it shows up in a ps i need to kill it by killall -9 gpm ; gpm or gpm -k ; gpm

I have to agree that e is a HUGE memory sucker, I have a 486DX/2 66 with 16meg of ram, and E and KDE run SO SLOW.... I actually use Fvwm2 cause it runs so much faster.

Have you seen WindowBlinds for Windows 95? It basically does the same thing as a window manager (only, not including the desktop manager), it changes the look of everything. Maybe someone could make a window manager with a suitable shell (gnome maybe.. naah it sux) that could import the "skins" from WindowBlinds. Have a look, it's quite interesting. I think it's written in c, some porting would be needed, especially where it comes to mapping windows & windows vs x-windows calls. heck, keep me outta it.

Someone needs to write a window manager, maybe a modified fvwm2, but with a decent title bar & border. the reason i presume e runs so slow is cause it uses a lot of bitmaps, but if you took this out, maybe it'd speed up?

i dunno, im not a huge c programmer, im only 15, I only discovered linux a while ago. I plan to learn eventually, but i have a lot on my plate at the moment.

It'd be great if you did write a window manager, I'd be happy to help (albeit slowly) but I can modify c code ok, no problems, the only trouble i have is writing a decent complex c program that doesn't run so damb slow.. just the way i write, i don't make things easy for myself.

Email me if you want, at (i ope this supports html) ryanverner@yahoo.com

see ya 4 now,

Ryan Verner

: : Hmmn, could you just modify a current window manager... it's all released under the GPL, isn't it?? A friend reading this told me to say to use FVWM2 (hahahahahaha) doesn't it suck badly though?

: : BTW is it just me or in enlightenment 0.15 it is HEAPS different than enlightenment 0.14... no desktop and stuff...

: : and you mentioned it crashes a lot.. are you using redhat 5.2 or earlier (or maybe another distrubution!!!) I just got redhat 6.0 and it runs SO MUCH SMOOTHER... takes up a odd 100 meg more, but it's worth it :)

:

: Enlightenment 0.15 is different from 0.14

: but you should look at the current CVS version of

: Enlightenment, it has a lot more stuff

: FVWM isnt bad, I mean yes it is, but its fast

: way faster than EEnligtenment, E is a memory sucker

: how better is RH6.0 from RH5.2 ?

: Im using RH ever since 4.x, I never upgraded my

: distro, I mostly upgraded everything myself

: which I think is better that way, I installed

: like, the kernel, ftp , and GCC, and built verything

: else , and keep upgrading my stuff mostly from CVS stuff