Noob game programmer...need help!!! CONTINUED - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Noob game programmer...need help!!! CONTINUED

JBW2k2JBW2k2 Posts: 6Member
[b][red]This message was edited by JBW2k2 at 2003-5-20 22:17:22[/red][/b][hr]
WoW! Thanks again guys(gautam Sephiroth CroW )! The openGL tutorial is a big, big help (some of the links to the downloadable files do not work though)...but can I still use regular c++ classes and functions along with the open gl code? I have created, for example, a bomb class, environment class, etc. and i want to incorporate those, but should I still use openGL for what I am doing here? Also, will openGL be pretty easy to do in a relatively short amount of time? It is great learning no matter what though, I'm just worried that I may have written code that is useless for use with openGL...however I could be totally wrong. I dont know so if you guys could help clear up the fog that would be awesome! You guys have really helped me in development of this too

Thanks

BTW...is there an easy way to make such a simple game like bomberman playable over the internet or at least lan? ;p

Thanks again

JBW2k2 aka Whitey

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    C++ and OpenGL can be combined fine :)

Your classes will help. Make sure there is a way to extract data out of your classes to send it down to OpenGL functions.

First make a single player dude, then expand Start small, but think big :p

: [b][red]This message was edited by JBW2k2 at 2003-5-20 22:17:22[/red][/b][hr]
    : WoW! Thanks again guys(gautam Sephiroth CroW )! The openGL tutorial is a big, big help (some of the links to the downloadable files do not work though)...but can I still use regular c++ classes and functions along with the open gl code? I have created, for example, a bomb class, environment class, etc. and i want to incorporate those, but should I still use openGL for what I am doing here? Also, will openGL be pretty easy to do in a relatively short amount of time? It is great learning no matter what though, I'm just worried that I may have written code that is useless for use with openGL...however I could be totally wrong. I dont know so if you guys could help clear up the fog that would be awesome! You guys have really helped me in development of this too
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : BTW...is there an easy way to make such a simple game like bomberman playable over the internet or at least lan? ;p
    :
    : Thanks again
    :
    : JBW2k2 aka Whitey
    :
    :
    :
    :

• JBW2k2JBW2k2 Posts: 6Member
    OK thats good to know, but i do have a couple of other issues: first of all, i couldnt get the tutorial download files off of http://openglforums.com, and i was wondering if there was any other way I could get them because my code for them does not work. Second, I was wondering if in my main .cpp file if i could open up a window, and then use a display class to modify it (so I can keep the graphics junk out of main and instead get the code i need and send it to e.g. display.h which would in turn output graphics to the screen). If anyone knows that would be a great hope.

Thanks again!

JBW2k2
  • gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by gautam at 2003-5-22 21:10:42[/red][/b][hr]
    Yes, you can create a window in the main function. The display can be seperate. However, you do need to call the rendering function in the main function. I can show you my SDL framework. It analogous to what you want to do :)

http://www.geocities.com/gautamn2000/framework.zip

: OK thats good to know, but i do have a couple of other issues: first of all, i couldnt get the tutorial download files off of http://openglforums.com, and i was wondering if there was any other way I could get them because my code for them does not work. Second, I was wondering if in my main .cpp file if i could open up a window, and then use a display class to modify it (so I can keep the graphics junk out of main and instead get the code i need and send it to e.g. display.h which would in turn output graphics to the screen). If anyone knows that would be a great hope.
    :
    : Thanks again!
    :
    : JBW2k2
    :