Decompiling A DLL... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Decompiling A DLL...

SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
I'm taking a break from AoY Online for a bit (heck, it's up and running, that's what mattered) and have gotten into Hexen again. Yeah, it's DOS, but there's also a 9X version. I would like to decompile the IPX and TCP/IP dlls on the 95 version to see how packets are handled so thatI can write a dedicated-server for the game. You see, I have several friends who play with me online (TCP), but that means players on my LAN running the original DOS Hexen (IPX) can't join us. I want to write my server so that it listens and sends on IPX and TCP. This way, players can join from DOS on my P133 and P2/233, and others may join me from online or my other Windows boxes. One might say "just install Hexen95 on the old boxes", but Hexen95 is incredibly SLOW on them because it uses DX and uses the same drawing routine as DOS Hexen (plotting a screen pixel at a time) and then blends it.

So, how would I manage to decompile the IPX and TCP dlls? Hexen itself is open-source now, but I can't find the Hexen95 sources anywhere. Thanks for the info!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

Comments

• chick80chick80 Posts: 349Member
    : So, how would I manage to decompile the IPX and TCP dlls? Hexen itself is open-source now, but I can't find the Hexen95 sources anywhere. Thanks for the info!

If you don't find the sources you'll have an hard time trying to figure out how the DLL's functions work...
    The only thing you can do is disassemble the DLL with any disassembler you like (WinDASM is the best! :-)) and try to understand the asm code!
    Btw, I don't think this is a good way to understand how the DLL works, you will only lose your time trying to do that.

nICO

[hr]
    [italic]How beautiful, if sorrow had not made Sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    JOHN KEATS