Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Collision problem

CaineCaine Member Posts: 5
Hey guys,
You know that feeling that you solved a problem but you're wondering if anyone can do it better. I've got it with a collision.

Consider an object and a wall, no gravity no bouncing. The object is moving 5 pixels per frame horizontaly.

At a given point the object is let's say 3 pixels away from the wall like this:

************************||
******************oo****||
*****************oooo***||
******************oo****||
************************||

Now I want the object to stick to the wall but in my testing I only test it like this:

object.x + object.width + 5; // 5 is the speed

Should I test each pixel to the right up to 5 or first test 5 pixels to the right and then if things collide test each pixel back to 1.

Please help me :) thanx

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    : Hey guys,
    : You know that feeling that you solved a problem but you're wondering if anyone can do it better. I've got it with a collision.
    :
    : Consider an object and a wall, no gravity no bouncing. The object is moving 5 pixels per frame horizontaly.
    :
    : At a given point the object is let's say 3 pixels away from the wall like this:
    :
    : ************************||
    : ******************oo****||
    : *****************oooo***||
    : ******************oo****||
    : ************************||
    :
    : Now I want the object to stick to the wall but in my testing I only test it like this:
    :
    : object.x + object.width + 5; // 5 is the speed
    :
    : Should I test each pixel to the right up to 5 or first test 5 pixels to the right and then if things collide test each pixel back to 1.
    :
    : Please help me :) thanx
    :
    :
    [blue]So, you are testing the screen pixels? You should have the wall as an object with coordinates, so you know the coordinates of a wall, then it is simple code:[/blue][code]
    int iDist2Wall;
    int iBallX, iWallX;

if ((iDist2Wall = iWallX-iBallX) > 5) {
    // Move the ball:
    iBallX += 5;
    }
    else {
    // Last move:
    iBallX += iDist2Wall; // Ball stuck to the wall
    }
    [/code]