case sensetive search in SQL - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

case sensetive search in SQL

Hello,
how can I do case sensetive string search in SQL im using an access db and ODBC

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hello,
    : how can I do case sensetive string search in SQL im using an access db and ODBC

SQL is case sensitive automatically.

select * from table where field = 'FoObAr'

will find only records where the specified field exactly matches 'FoObAr'. If you want a case INsensitive search, use upper or lower:

select * from table where upper(field) = 'FOOBAR'

Same goes for wildcards

select * from table where upper(field) like '%FOOBAR%'

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• hakanbengtsenhakanbengtsen Posts: 5Member
    : : Hello,
    : : how can I do case sensetive string search in SQL im using an access db and ODBC
    :
    : SQL is case sensitive automatically.
    :
    : select * from table where field = 'FoObAr'
    :
    : will find only records where the specified field exactly matches 'FoObAr'. If you want a case INsensitive search, use upper or lower:
    :
    : select * from table where upper(field) = 'FOOBAR'
    :
    : Same goes for wildcards
    :
    : select * from table where upper(field) like '%FOOBAR%'
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :
    That was strange because I have tried to to exactly the same as in your example but it wont work ... hmmm maybe i missing somthing, thanx anyway // hakan
  • DaedaliusDaedalius Posts: 30Member
    I believe that if you check your collation and Infidel's collation you will find that they are different.

: : : Hello,
    : : : how can I do case sensetive string search in SQL im using an access db and ODBC
    : :
    : : SQL is case sensitive automatically.
    : : select * from table where field = 'FoObAr'
    : : will find only records where the specified field exactly matches 'FoObAr'. If you want a case INsensitive search, use upper or lower:
    : : select * from table where upper(field) = 'FOOBAR'
    : : Same goes for wildcards
    : : select * from table where upper(field) like '%FOOBAR%'
    : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    : That was strange because I have tried to to exactly the same as in your example but it wont work ... hmmm maybe i missing somthing, thanx anyway // hakan
    :

I found the problem... I using ODBC and a access database ... these databases is not case-sensitive, I have to change to oracle or mySQL... or if there is some function that I can use.. I think I will use mySQL instead.

thanx for the help // hakan

: I believe that if you check your collation and Infidel's collation you will find that they are different.
    :
    : : : : Hello,
    : : : : how can I do case sensetive string search in SQL im using an access db and ODBC
    : : :
    : : : SQL is case sensitive automatically.
    : : : select * from table where field = 'FoObAr'
    : : : will find only records where the specified field exactly matches 'FoObAr'. If you want a case INsensitive search, use upper or lower:
    : : : select * from table where upper(field) = 'FOOBAR'
    : : : Same goes for wildcards
    : : : select * from table where upper(field) like '%FOOBAR%'
    : : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    : : That was strange because I have tried to to exactly the same as in your example but it wont work ... hmmm maybe i missing somthing, thanx anyway // hakan
    :
    :

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : I found the problem... I using ODBC and a access database ... these databases is not case-sensitive, I have to change to oracle or mySQL... or if there is some function that I can use.. I think I will use mySQL instead.

How typical. I hate Microsoft.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• DaedaliusDaedalius Posts: 30Member
    I think you should restate. SQL Server will support case sensitivity you just have to use the proper collation.

: : I found the problem... I using ODBC and a access database ... these databases is not case-sensitive, I have to change to oracle or mySQL... or if there is some function that I can use.. I think I will use mySQL instead.
    :
    : How typical. I hate Microsoft.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

Hmmm, I have done some tests + search for some help on the Microsoft web but there nothing to convince me otherwise.... But Im not using SQL server it's too expensive for me, Im using a simple ODBC connection with a access database and what I can see, theres no case-sensitive support for the SQL parser in access.
    I found this site who compares oracle with access maybe they also has got it wrong

http://www.cse.bris.ac.uk/~ccmjs/ora_sql.htm#Aggregate functions

: I think you should restate. SQL Server will support case sensitivity you just have to use the proper collation.
    :
    : : : I found the problem... I using ODBC and a access database ... these databases is not case-sensitive, I have to change to oracle or mySQL... or if there is some function that I can use.. I think I will use mySQL instead.
    : : How typical. I hate Microsoft.
    : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :