new to php - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

new to php

Homerun31Homerun31 Posts: 99Member
what would be a good language to learn before php to make it easier to understand when i begin learning php?

Comments

• chlifchlif Posts: 24Member
    Knowing any programming language makes it always easier to learn new languages. But before learning PHP I don't know if you should learn any language. PHP is very easy to learn and when I sarted to make PHP I moved to it straight from HTML. (well ok: I had used several other languages but they weren't that big of a help)

If you really wan't to learn some other language before PHP I think that Perl or some other CGI language would be the best. But this might only make it harder to learn the syntax of PHP. Before starting server side programming you should make sure that you know HTML well and maybe a bit JavaScript and CSS too.
  • Darius.phpDarius.php Posts: 2Member
    : what would be a good language to learn before php to make it easier to understand when i begin learning php?
    :

If you know HTML then I would say you should start with PHP, it's a good language to start with. Not too complicated, but it is a nice language to get into, and very usefull.

If you don't know HTML, I say you should learn that... Even though it's just a markup language, it'll be nice to know when you move onto PHP.
  • _coder__coder_ Posts: 3Member
    : what would be a good language to learn before php to make it easier to understand when i begin learning php?
    :
    I would have to agree with Darius. I think HTML is the foundation that everything else should be built upon. I am fairly new to PHP but I have learned that it is very forgiving. You don't have to worry about forgetting to assign your variables and it seems to be easier to learn the syntax than VB or C++.

Personally, as soon as I found out the my host supported PHP and mySQL I bought a $50.00 book called "PHP BIBLE" by Tim Converse and Joyce Park. I got the 2nd edition and it has a lot of code that you can punch in and start to understand how it works. They also build two different sites in the book that they provide all of the code for and explain it as you go along. It's well worth the investment.