Debuggind questions - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Debuggind questions

i.mBGi.mBG Posts: 47Member
Hello.
I'm working on a debugger. The idea is to get the running processes, modules used by them and so on. To obtain this information I'm using "CreateToolhelp32Snapshot" API + "Process32First".
So far so good. Now the question(s). How can I find :

-where the program starts in memory ("the entry point" )-for "ReadProcessMemory"
-more info about "base address"
-how to set breakpoints and single step (are int1 & modyfing the trap flag the only options?)

And the last one would be:

- how can I get the source code of an exe? I know : disassembling. But I'm trying to get it from the process's memory when it's running. I know the codification of the inst. (ex "ret" is 55h) but how are the codifications made?

I'm new with debugging & I want to know more.
PLEASE HELP!!!
Tank you.

Comments

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Posts: 6,519Member
    : Hello.
    : I'm working on a debugger. The idea is to get the running processes, modules used by them and so on. To obtain this information I'm using "CreateToolhelp32Snapshot" API + "Process32First".
    : So far so good. Now the question(s). How can I find :
    :
    : -where the program starts in memory ("the entry point" )-for "ReadProcessMemory"
    : -more info about "base address"
    : -how to set breakpoints and single step (are int1 & modyfing the trap flag the only options?)
    :
    : And the last one would be:
    :
    : - how can I get the source code of an exe? I know : disassembling. But I'm trying to get it from the process's memory when it's running. I know the codification of the inst. (ex "ret" is 55h) but how are the codifications made?
    :
    : I'm new with debugging & I want to know more.
    : PLEASE HELP!!!
    : Tank you.
    :
    [blue]You need the Pentium Manual to disassemble every byte of the code. The link to it you can find here: 'www.codexxi.com' -> Links[/blue]