Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

kazaa - Good or Bad?

Hi! You all might have heard the rumours about kazaa that it causes our computer to become unstable by transfering viruses to the computer. I have also heard that we should not download any software from kazaa. So I just want to know that it is a true fact or just a false belief. If it is true that kazaa causes errors in our computer, then is there any way to overcome this problem? You can also email me if u know pretty well about kazaa- jaspreet_7@hotmail.com. Thank You!

Comments

• i.mBGi.mBG Posts: 47Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by i.mBG at 2003-5-6 13:29:45[/red][/b][hr]
    I've used kazaa but of course with Norton Antivirus + Firewall with no problem. Indeed some stuff is "sick"(=viruses) but they can't get trough with some protection enabled.
    If smb. told you not to download is maybe because you won't have copyright, license or stuff like this for the software.(bad part)
    It's a good program if you have high speed connection & don't wanna pay $$$ for programs.
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by i.mBG at 2003-5-6 13:29:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : I've used kazaa but of course with Norton Antivirus + Firewall with no problem. Indeed some stuff is "sick"(=viruses) but they can't get trough with some protection enabled.
    : If smb. told you not to download is maybe because you won't have copyright, license or stuff like this for the software.(bad part)
    : It's a good program if you have high speed connection & don't wanna pay $$$ for programs.
    :
    Don't use it. If you are not running a firewall then you'd best know how to manually close ports constantly. The only program I found for sharing stuff like that is WinMX (www.winmx.com). I am still behind a firewall and scan my files though, although to my knowledge there is no virus yet that can infect an MP3 without corrupting it.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• Stoic JokerStoic Joker Posts: 84Member
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by i.mBG at 2003-5-6 13:29:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I've used kazaa but of course with Norton Antivirus + Firewall with no problem. Indeed some stuff is "sick"(=viruses) but they can't get trough with some protection enabled.
    : : If smb. told you not to download is maybe because you won't have copyright, license or stuff like this for the software.(bad part)
    : : It's a good program if you have high speed connection & don't wanna pay $$$ for programs.
    : :
    : Don't use it. If you are not running a firewall then you'd best know how to manually close ports constantly. The only program I found for sharing stuff like that is WinMX (www.winmx.com). I am still behind a firewall and scan my files though, although to my knowledge there is no virus yet that can infect an MP3 without corrupting it.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :

I have used WinMX, and liked it. The problem with Kazaa isn't viruses (exactly), but spyware/adware that is installed and hoggs up bandwidth & resources rather transparently...If you must use Kazaa, look for the Kazaa Lite version.

@i.mBG Why would you even mention piracy on a programmers message Board?

Which reminds me this is(/was) not a programming quesion...
  • i.mBGi.mBG Posts: 47Member
    : I have used WinMX, and liked it. The problem with Kazaa isn't viruses (exactly), but spyware/adware that is installed and hoggs up bandwidth & resources rather transparently...If you must use Kazaa, look for the Kazaa Lite version.
    :
    : @i.mBG Why would you even mention piracy on a programmers message Board?
    :
    : Which reminds me this is(/was) not a programming quesion...
    :

You mean why telling things by name? I hope you're not thinking that people using kazza are sharing their photo albums. As far as I can see the question was if it's good or bad & there are 2 sides of the coin.
    I'm not telling anyone to crack or hack or whatever but after having a few of my programs cracked I learned 2 things:
    - try to come up with a good protection for your programs
    - they gonna try to crack, hack, "share" as long as life will go on on Earth, so live with it.
    I don't think that if we don't talk about it, it will go away. I know this not might be the message board for this kind of talking, but this is where I found the question & I'm sick & tired of "kids" who wanna be "cool" because they can "hack", but they don't even know to write 2 lines of code.

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    : You mean why telling things by name? I hope you're not thinking that people using kazza are sharing their photo albums. As far as I can see the question was if it's good or bad & there are 2 sides of the coin.
    : I'm not telling anyone to crack or hack or whatever but after having a few of my programs cracked I learned 2 things:
    : - try to come up with a good protection for your programs
    : - they gonna try to crack, hack, "share" as long as life will go on on Earth, so live with it.
    : I don't think that if we don't talk about it, it will go away. I know this not might be the message board for this kind of talking, but this is where I found the question & I'm sick & tired of "kids" who wanna be "cool" because they can "hack", but they don't even know to write 2 lines of code.
    :
    :
    AMEN BROTHER! I hate that in all aspects of coding, especially some of the people I have met who can do Visual whatever coding but not type a single line of code. Now I am not trying to insult you Visual people who can actually sit down with Wordpad like me and code as though you invented the PC.

Anyways, on the subject of protection, my new online game features something that will require a HEFTY server, but as far as I can see, will prevent cheating like in Half-Life and Everquest, aside from any actual server-code bugs I may overlook. I have coded the server to run EVERY player. Collision-detection, attacks, sounds, animations, everything. All the client app does is relay keystrokes and download area data to display in OpenGL. Also, the client can be "shared" all day, but in the final release (commercial), I will have to create a user-account for a player for the client to do anything. So if Joe Blow doesn't pay to play, he gets no account, and unless he gets somebody else's password somehow, he can't play :D. I think more apps that require networking should be this way, although it does jack the server requirements up...

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]