Programming Problem - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Programming Problem

Marvel587Marvel587 Posts: 4Member
Can anybody please write a program for me with the following directions:

Write a program to determine the day of the week a person was born given his or her birth date. Following are the steps you should use to find the day of the week corresponding to any date in this century.
A) Divide the last 2 digits of the birth year by 4. Put the quotient (ignoring the remainder) in Total. For example, if the person was born in 1983, divide 83 by 4 and store 20 in Total.

B) Add the last two digits of the birth year to the Total.

C) Add the day portion to the birth date to Total.

D)Using the following table, find the "Month Number" and add it to the total.
January = 1, February = 4, March = 4, April = 0, May = 2, June = 5, July = 0, August = 3, September = 6, October = 1, November = 4, and December = 6.

E) If the year is a leap year and, if the month you are working with is either January or February, then subtract 1 from the Total.

F) Find the remainder when Total is divided by 7. Look up the remainder in the following table to determine the day of the week the person was born. Note that you should not use this procedure if the person's year of birth is earlier than 1900.
1 = Sunday, 2 = Monday, 3 = Tuesday, 4 = Wednesday, 5 = Thursday, 6 = Friday, and 0 = Saturday.
A typical line of data is

5 - 15 78

where the first entry (5-15) represents the month and day (May 15) and the second entry (78) represents the birth year. An appropriate error message should be printed if a person's year of birth is before 1900.

This would be a HUGE help for me... if you have a web site, I will link to it to my site, www.Internapse.com

Please post the program here or you can e-mail it to me at [email protected]

THANK YOU SO MUCH

~Scott

Comments

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : Can anybody please write a program for me with the following directions:
    :
    : Write a program to determine the day of the week a person was born given his or her birth date. Following are the steps you should use to find the day of the week corresponding to any date in this century.
    : A) Divide the last 2 digits of the birth year by 4. Put the quotient (ignoring the remainder) in Total. For example, if the person was born in 1983, divide 83 by 4 and store 20 in Total.
    :
    : B) Add the last two digits of the birth year to the Total.
    :
    : C) Add the day portion to the birth date to Total.
    :
    : D)Using the following table, find the "Month Number" and add it to the total.
    : January = 1, February = 4, March = 4, April = 0, May = 2, June = 5, July = 0, August = 3, September = 6, October = 1, November = 4, and December = 6.
    :
    : E) If the year is a leap year and, if the month you are working with is either January or February, then subtract 1 from the Total.
    :
    : F) Find the remainder when Total is divided by 7. Look up the remainder in the following table to determine the day of the week the person was born. Note that you should not use this procedure if the person's year of birth is earlier than 1900.
    : 1 = Sunday, 2 = Monday, 3 = Tuesday, 4 = Wednesday, 5 = Thursday, 6 = Friday, and 0 = Saturday.
    : A typical line of data is
    :
    : 5 - 15 78
    :
    : where the first entry (5-15) represents the month and day (May 15) and the second entry (78) represents the birth year. An appropriate error message should be printed if a person's year of birth is before 1900.

That all sounds straight-forward, where's the problem?
  • Marvel587Marvel587 Posts: 4Member
    : : Can anybody please write a program for me with the following directions:
    : :
    : : Write a program to determine the day of the week a person was born given his or her birth date. Following are the steps you should use to find the day of the week corresponding to any date in this century.
    : : A) Divide the last 2 digits of the birth year by 4. Put the quotient (ignoring the remainder) in Total. For example, if the person was born in 1983, divide 83 by 4 and store 20 in Total.
    : : B) Add the last two digits of the birth year to the Total.
    : : C) Add the day portion to the birth date to Total.
    : : D)Using the following table, find the "Month Number" and add it to the total.
    : : January = 1, February = 4, March = 4, April = 0, May = 2, June = 5, July = 0, August = 3, September = 6, October = 1, November = 4, and December = 6.
    : : E) If the year is a leap year and, if the month you are working with is either January or February, then subtract 1 from the Total.
    : : F) Find the remainder when Total is divided by 7. Look up the remainder in the following table to determine the day of the week the person was born. Note that you should not use this procedure if the person's year of birth is earlier than 1900.
    : : 1 = Sunday, 2 = Monday, 3 = Tuesday, 4 = Wednesday, 5 = Thursday, 6 = Friday, and 0 = Saturday.
    : : A typical line of data is
    : : 5 - 15 78
    : : where the first entry (5-15) represents the month and day (May 15) and the second entry (78) represents the birth year. An appropriate error message should be printed if a person's year of birth is before 1900.
    :
    :
    :
    : That all sounds straight-forward, where's the problem?
    :

------------------------------

That is the problem, to write a program that determines the person's day of the week, the person was born using those above instructions. It tells you what needs to happen, using IF and THEN statements, but I'm pretty new to programming, and not sure where to start for the problem.
    : That is the problem, to write a program that determines the person's day of the week, the person was born using those above instructions. It tells you what needs to happen, using IF and THEN statements, but I'm pretty new to programming, and not sure where to start for the problem.

Well I would start at the top and work my way down. Try doing A, and once it's working try doing B, once it's working try doing C, etc.. If you get stuck on one of the steps, post the code you're trying and maybe someone can spot the problem. So that you know if you're doing it right, here's the values you should have at the end of each step based on the date Sept. 20, 1980

A) 20
    B) 100
    C) 120
    D) 126
    E) 126
    F) 0

Sept. 20, 1980 was a Saturday
    [b][red]This message was edited by Marvel587 at 2003-4-24 6:56:39[/red][/b][hr]
    On part E, it says If the year is a leap year and, if the month you are working with is either January or February, then subtract 1 from the Total.

How would you find out that the year is a leap year? Such as in 1987? When it says and, does it mean that the month has to be January or February and also a leap year? or just if the month is January or February?

Does this mean that if the month is March through December and a leap year, nothing happens?

: On part E, it says If the year is a leap year and, if the month you are working with is either January or February, then subtract 1 from the Total.
    :
    : How would you find out that the year is a leap year? Such as in 1987? When it says and, does it mean that the month has to be January or February and also a leap year? or just if the month is January or February?
    :
    : Does this mean that if the month is March through December and a leap year, nothing happens?

Im not 100% on the rules of leap year, but I think it's:

[code]
    LeapYear := (Year mod 4 = 0) and ((Year mod 100 <> 0) or (Year mod 400 = 0))
    [/code]

If you search on google Im sure you'll be able to find if that's right or not. That needs a 4 digit year, so just "80" wont work, you need to use "1980"

And yes it means only subtract 1 if it is a leap year AND January or February. So using my example, 1980 was a leap year but I did not subtract 1 because the month was September.
    Thank You Very Much Manning...

Here is my finished Birthday Program

[Code]
    PROGRAM Ch5Prb16;

USES crt;

{Scott Kondor, Period 2}
    {This program will, given the birth date of a person, determine the day of
    the week the person was born.}

VAR
    Month, Answer, DayofWeek, Message : String;
    Day, Year, BYear, BDay, MonthNum, Total, Total2 : integer;
    LeapYear : Boolean;

BEGIN {Main Program}
    {Input}
    clrscr;
    write ('Please enter the month you were born with the first letter ');
    writeln ('as a CAPITAL letter. For example, January with a capital J.');
    readln (Month);
    writeln ('Please enter the the day of the month you were born.');
    readln (Day);
    writeln ('Please enter the year you were born.');
    readln (Year);

{Calculations}
    BYear := ((Year - 1900) DIV 4);

BDay := Year - 1900;

IF (Month = 'July') OR (Month = 'April') THEN
    MonthNum := 0;
    IF (Month = 'January') OR (Month = 'October') THEN
    MonthNum := 1;
    IF (Month = 'May') THEN
    MonthNum := 2;
    IF (Month = 'August') THEN
    MonthNum := 3;
    IF (Month = 'February') OR (Month = 'March') OR (Month = 'November') THEN
    MonthNum := 4;
    IF (Month = 'June') THEN
    MonthNum := 5;
    IF (Month = 'September') OR (Month = 'December') THEN
    MonthNum := 6;

LeapYear := (Year MOD 4 = 0) AND ((Year MOD 100 <> 0) OR (Year MOD 400 = 0));

Total := BYear + BDay + Day + MonthNum;

IF ((LeapYear) AND (Month = 'February') OR (Month = 'January')) THEN
    Total := Total - 1
    ELSE
    Total := Total;

Total2 := Total MOD 7;

IF Total2 = 1 THEN
    DayofWeek := 'Sunday';
    IF Total2 = 2 THEN
    DayofWeek := 'Monday';
    IF Total2 = 3 THEN
    DayofWeek := 'Tuesday';
    IF Total2 = 4 THEN
    DayofWeek := 'Wednesday';
    IF Total2 = 5 THEN
    DayofWeek := 'Thursday';
    IF Total2 = 6 THEN
    DayofWeek := 'Friday';
    IF Total2 = 0 THEN
    DayofWeek := 'Saturday';

{Output}
    clrscr;
    writeln ('Birthday Program':44);
    writeln ('----------------':44);
    writeln; writeln;
    IF Year < 1900 THEN
    writeln ('I''m sorry, but your birthday is before 1900 and can''t be computed')
    ELSE
    writeln ('Your birthday ':30, Month,' ', Day,' ',Year,' is a ',DayofWeek,'.');
    writeln;
    writeln ('Thank you for using Scott''s Birthday Program':57);
    readln;
    END.
    [/Code]