Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I want to know

Augie1300Augie1300 Posts: 2Member
I wanted to know if you could put your pascal program on a webpage. If you can can someone please tell me how?Im new to pascal please help!

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I wanted to know if you could put your pascal program on a webpage. If you can can someone please tell me how?Im new to pascal please help!
    :
    Depends on what you mean by put a Pascal program on a webpage. If you want people to be able to download and run your program on their system, it is easily done in that same way as an image or a zip file (I would recommend to zip it in regards with download times).
    If you want to be able to run the program as part of your webpage (i.e. a Pascal CGI script), then things are a lot more complicated. You'll need to have the correct webserver, code the program in such a way that it becomes a cgi-program instead of a normal DOS program, and your hosting service needs to allow you to place cgi scripts on your page.
  • ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : : I wanted to know if you could put your pascal program on a webpage. If you can can someone please tell me how?Im new to pascal please help!
    : :
    : Depends on what you mean by put a Pascal program on a webpage. If you want people to be able to download and run your program on their system, it is easily done in that same way as an image or a zip file (I would recommend to zip it in regards with download times).
    : If you want to be able to run the program as part of your webpage (i.e. a Pascal CGI script), then things are a lot more complicated. You'll need to have the correct webserver, code the program in such a way that it becomes a cgi-program instead of a normal DOS program, and your hosting service needs to allow you to place cgi scripts on your page.
    :

There really isnt anything special that needs to be done to make a CGI. Any webserver Ive ever used captures anything you write to STDOUT, so simply calling WriteLn() will have your text displayed in the web-page.

The only thing that may be required is to do:

WriteLn('Content-type: text/html');
    WriteLn;

Before writing anything else. And one limitation is that if you use the CRT unit the webserver won't see any text you write. But for a CGI there's no need for that unit anyway.

And I've never tried a 16bit DOS program so I dont know how well/if that would work, but win32 console applications work fine.
  • Augie1300Augie1300 Posts: 2Member
    : : : I wanted to know if you could put your pascal program on a webpage. If you can can someone please tell me how?Im new to pascal please help!
    : : :
    : : Depends on what you mean by put a Pascal program on a webpage. If you want people to be able to download and run your program on their system, it is easily done in that same way as an image or a zip file (I would recommend to zip it in regards with download times).
    : : If you want to be able to run the program as part of your webpage (i.e. a Pascal CGI script), then things are a lot more complicated. You'll need to have the correct webserver, code the program in such a way that it becomes a cgi-program instead of a normal DOS program, and your hosting service needs to allow you to place cgi scripts on your page.
    : :
    :
    :
    : There really isnt anything special that needs to be done to make a CGI. Any webserver Ive ever used captures anything you write to STDOUT, so simply calling WriteLn() will have your text displayed in the web-page.
    :
    : The only thing that may be required is to do:
    :
    : WriteLn('Content-type: text/html');
    : WriteLn;
    :
    : Before writing anything else. And one limitation is that if you use the CRT unit the webserver won't see any text you write. But for a CGI there's no need for that unit anyway.
    :
    : And I've never tried a 16bit DOS program so I dont know how well/if that would work, but win32 console applications work fine.
    :k, thanks alot.