MySQL traffic - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

MySQL traffic

compukatcompukat Posts: 18Member
I was wondering if anyone new how much of a load a MySQL database could hold. I have a pretty big web project in mind and I expect to see a lot of traffic interfacing with it. Can MySQL handle it, or should I seek another database?

Does anyone know where I can find reliable documentation on this topic? I went to MySQL.com, but I did not find anything.

Thanks
Kat

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : I was wondering if anyone new how much of a load a MySQL database
    : could hold. I have a pretty big web project in mind and I expect to
    : see a lot of traffic interfacing with it. Can MySQL handle it, or
    : should I seek another database?
    It depends what you mean by a lot. It holds up fine under a system I run that can generate over 30 queries a second at peak load, but I know it can go much further than this and compared to some systems mine is pretty small!

: Does anyone know where I can find reliable documentation on this
    : topic? I went to MySQL.com, but I did not find anything.
    This page may help:-
    http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmarks.html

From what I've heard it is very capable, with optimisation, of handling thousands of queries a second and hunderds, if not thousands of concurrent connections. It all depends on how much time you can spend optimising it. I think you'll need something pretty big before you start to hit trouble though.

Jonathan

###
    ('Is Perl Just Another Hack?' =~ /^w+ (w+) (w+) (w+)(er) (w+)?$/) and print "$2 $3$4 $1 $5$4";
    ###
    http://www.incrahost.com/ :: Great Hosting!
    ###