Receiving data from a sensor - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Receiving data from a sensor

ok.. i have a pressure sensor connected to a hydraulic system. What i want to do is to receive the pressure sensed by the sensor to a computer and get that data and plot a graph of pressure vs time.

Now what is the device i need which will convert the pressure sensor signals to a format which can be read by a computer? I would like to know all the hardware details i will be requiring and how to configure it.Which port do i need to use.

Once i can get the value in my computer then the rest can be done in VB.
I am sound in Visual Basic but have no idea in this feild. So please help.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• korkor Posts: 198Member
    : ok.. i have a pressure sensor connected to a hydraulic system. What i want to do is to receive the pressure sensed by the sensor to a computer and get that data and plot a graph of pressure vs time.
    :
    : Now what is the device i need which will convert the pressure sensor signals to a format which can be read by a computer? I would like to know all the hardware details i will be requiring and how to configure it.Which port do i need to use.
    :
    : Once i can get the value in my computer then the rest can be done in VB.
    : I am sound in Visual Basic but have no idea in this feild. So please help.
    :
    : Any help would be highly appreciated.
    :
    More specs on the sensor would help. Is it calibrated already, or do you have to do that? is it a voltage or current output, or digital? Is it actually an output, or does it just vary the resistance, requiring you to put a voltage source in series, and an opamp to convert the current to voltage?
  • simranjeet123simranjeet123 Posts: 50Member
    : : ok.. i have a pressure sensor connected to a hydraulic system. What i want to do is to receive the pressure sensed by the sensor to a computer and get that data and plot a graph of pressure vs time.
    : :
    : : Now what is the device i need which will convert the pressure sensor signals to a format which can be read by a computer? I would like to know all the hardware details i will be requiring and how to configure it.Which port do i need to use.
    : : Once i can get the value in my computer then the rest can be done in VB.
    : : I am sound in Visual Basic but have no idea in this feild. So please help.
    : : Any help would be highly appreciated.
    : More specs on the sensor would help. Is it calibrated already, or do you have to do that? is it a voltage or current output, or digital? Is it actually an output, or does it just vary the resistance, requiring you to put a voltage source in series, and an opamp to convert the current to voltage?
    :

Well the sensor is not callibrated. I'd also like to know that how can I callibrate it. It simply generates a current proportional to the pressure sensed by it in the system. i.e the input is analog not digital.Yes it does give an output of some mA of current.

Any further help will be appreciated.
  • korkor Posts: 198Member
    : : : ok.. i have a pressure sensor connected to a hydraulic system. What i want to do is to receive the pressure sensed by the sensor to a computer and get that data and plot a graph of pressure vs time.
    : : :
    : : : Now what is the device i need which will convert the pressure sensor signals to a format which can be read by a computer? I would like to know all the hardware details i will be requiring and how to configure it.Which port do i need to use.
    : : : Once i can get the value in my computer then the rest can be done in VB.
    : : : I am sound in Visual Basic but have no idea in this feild. So please help.
    : : : Any help would be highly appreciated.
    : : More specs on the sensor would help. Is it calibrated already, or do you have to do that? is it a voltage or current output, or digital? Is it actually an output, or does it just vary the resistance, requiring you to put a voltage source in series, and an opamp to convert the current to voltage?
    : *****************************************************************
    :
    : Well the sensor is not callibrated. I'd also like to know that how can I callibrate it. It simply generates a current proportional to the pressure sensed by it in the system. i.e the input is analog not digital.Yes it does give an output of some mA of current.
    :
    : Any further help will be appreciated.
    :
    Do you have to put some voltage on one end, and a current comes out the other? if so, set up an opamp with a feedback resistor, probably a potentiometer so you can calibrate it, from the output to the inverting input, and tie the other input to ground. Put the output from the sensor to the inverting input, and, at maximum pressure, set the potentiometer to some value, probably the max of your adc (which I will talk about later). then, at minimum pressure, (I'm assuming here that this works, if not, set voltage for minimum pressure and this step for maximum pressure), make note of the output voltage. If it's significant, apply some voltage to the noninverting terminal of the opamp, probably from the wiper of a potentiometer, and see if you can get it to be about 0. Take this output to an analog to digital converter, with no more bits than the number of input data pins you have. You'll probably need one output pin to tell the adc when to sample, and one extra input to tell you when it's done. They usually aren't that slow, so it may not be a problem. as for calibrating it, there are two methods. I'd recommend you shift and scale the output in your program, so you get as much precision as you can get from the sensor.
  • dmswxdmswx Posts: 2Member
    Can you give us the sensor's part number? It would be the best...
  • quicksightsquicksights Posts: 15Member
    can i have the pressure sensors datasheet you can email me at [email protected]

if the output is in amperes(current) use a current to voltage converter circuit assuming also that you have properly calibrated your device. when it is in volts you can convert using an adc like adc0804 or much better adc's with higher resolutions for accuracy. then you can either input data serially through the serial port or create an interface card using 8255. If you do this you need to use a rs232 translator driver ic. if you decide to create an interface card using 8255 refer to the site below for tutorials.

check out boondog.com for adc dac circuits plus they have free codes