Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Can you get a COM object from a DLL, knowing Intf ID but not Class ID?

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how you can get an instance of a particular interface from a dll without knowing the registered CLSID GUID of that dll's COM object. Like, have the application look for dll files in a directory, probably try to call DllGetClassObject just to see if they implement a COM object, but then... is there any way to get the CLSID implemented by a COM In Process Server/Dll file??

I can't seem to even get a handle to anything without knowing the CLSID first. And beyond that I can't even typecast the returned interface object to the interface I want!!

Any thoughts would be helpful, or heck... anyone know where I could find code that can search the registry?
-SqueakyMik

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Member Posts: 6,349
    : Hi,
    : I'm trying to figure out how you can get an instance of a particular interface from a dll without knowing the registered CLSID GUID of that dll's COM object. Like, have the application look for dll files in a directory, probably try to call DllGetClassObject just to see if they implement a COM object, but then... is there any way to get the CLSID implemented by a COM In Process Server/Dll file??
    :
    : I can't seem to even get a handle to anything without knowing the CLSID first. And beyond that I can't even typecast the returned interface object to the interface I want!!
    :
    : Any thoughts would be helpful, or heck... anyone know where I could find code that can search the registry?
    : -SqueakyMik
    :
    I mysefl don't use COM objects, so I cannot help you there, but I can help you with the code to search the registry.
    Searching the regisry is very much like searching for a file through a directory tree. In this case there are two important methods: GetKeyNames() and GetValueNames(). Here is a procedure which will walk through all the subkeys of a given rootkey:
    [code]
    var
    MyRegistry: TRegistry;

procedure SearchKey(const Key: string);
    var
    s: TStrings;
    i: integer;
    begin
    s := TStringList.Create; // create names list
    with MyRegistry do try
    if OpenKey(Key) then begin // try to open the key
    // ===========
    // Here you can call another procedure to get the value names and
    // search for a specific value or somethink like that
    // ===========
    GetKeyNames(s); // get the names of all subkeys
    if s.Count > 0 then
    for i := 0 to s.Count-1 do // check the subkeys of the subkeys
    SearchKey(Key+s);
    finally
    s.Free; // clear memory of key names
    end;
    end;
    [/code]
    To search the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, you'll need to create the registry object, set its root key, and then call SearchKey('') to walk through it. This procedure doesn't seach for anything yet, it just iterates through a part of the registry.