How Can I make my service to RUN in Kernel Mode ? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How Can I make my service to RUN in Kernel Mode ?

sbtsbt Posts: 6Member
Hi,
I have to make one application to RUN in kernel Mode. I thought of writing a service, but I don't think I can run that service in Kernel Mode.

Is there any way to make any application of service to run in Kernel Mode ??

Thanks in advance.
sbt

Comments

• bikibiki Posts: 492Member
    [green]I dont know about running a service in kernel mode, though you can write a NT Native Application that can run in kernel mode. However, kernel mode "apps"/drivers do not have access to any GUI elements. An example of a native application is the scandisk that runs in Windows 2000 when the os starts and has detected imporper shutdown. You would need the Nt/2K DDK for making such "apps". What exactly do you need to do ? Maybe there are other ways than resorting to kernel mode ?[/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

• sbtsbt Posts: 6Member
    Thanks a lot for your information. I am writing a service which is a socket application, which manages IP address on that perticular machine. Something similar to DHCP client, but does removes IP address in certian conditions. Now I have a requirement that, even if system freezes because of some reason, my service application needs to run. I was thinking if I can make it run in kernel mode thread. It has no UI, but definitely it needs to be a service.