How Can I make my service to RUN in Kernel Mode ? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

How Can I make my service to RUN in Kernel Mode ?

sbtsbt Posts: 6Member
Hi,
I have to make one application to RUN in kernel Mode. I thought of writing a service, but I don't think I can run that service in Kernel Mode.

Is there any way to make any application of service to run in Kernel Mode ??

Thanks in advance.
sbt

Comments

• bikibiki Posts: 492Member
    [green]I dont know about running a service in kernel mode, though you can write a NT Native Application that can run in kernel mode. However, kernel mode "apps"/drivers do not have access to any GUI elements. An example of a native application is the scandisk that runs in Windows 2000 when the os starts and has detected imporper shutdown. You would need the Nt/2K DDK for making such "apps". What exactly do you need to do ? Maybe there are other ways than resorting to kernel mode ?[/green]
    [hr][red]~Bikram[/red]

• sbtsbt Posts: 6Member
    Thanks a lot for your information. I am writing a service which is a socket application, which manages IP address on that perticular machine. Something similar to DHCP client, but does removes IP address in certian conditions. Now I have a requirement that, even if system freezes because of some reason, my service application needs to run. I was thinking if I can make it run in kernel mode thread. It has no UI, but definitely it needs to be a service.