video/graphics/screen buffer under windows - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

video/graphics/screen buffer under windows

Hi, I would like to know the fastest way to access the windows screen buffer/... my program does the graphics itself and stores it in the buffer. I would like to know the fastest way to copy the game buffer to the screen. what should I use:
-directX
-openGL
-dos VGA/VESA
-bmp
-?????

So I DONT want to generate graphics, I just want to know the fastest way to copy it to a buffer

Thanks ahead [email protected]

Comments

• chick80chick80 Posts: 349Member
    Well, it depends greatly on what you're doing... for example, if you're programming a 3D app/game, DirectX or OpenGL are the best choice (DX is my favourite, but they're both very good), if you're doing some standard Windows app you should use Windows GDI, and so on...

nICO

[hr]
    [italic]How beautiful, if sorrow had not made Sorrow more beautiful than Beauty itself.[/italic]
    JOHN KEATS

• PiloPilo Posts: 2Member
    Once upon a time I tried to make a program that did exactly what you are trying to do... I never got that program to work properly due to lack of knowledge at the time but I can answer one part of your question...

Don't use OpenGL to paste a memory buffer onto the screen... For some reason I could never get it to work fast... so cross OpenGL off the list
  • adrianxwadrianxw Posts: 127Member
    : Once upon a time I tried to make a program that did exactly what you are trying to do... I never got that program to work properly due to lack of knowledge at the time but I can answer one part of your question...
    :
    : Don't use OpenGL to paste a memory buffer onto the screen... For some reason I could never get it to work fast... so cross OpenGL off the list
    :

On the other hand, many people are perfectly happy using OpenGL for that, the fact you couldn't get it to work does not reflect on the libraries ability.

Med venlig hilsen,

Adrian...