DSL Modem - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

DSL Modem

cheriocherio Posts: 33Member
I need the device driver to connect a DISHNET DSL modem to an installation of Red-Hat
Linux 7.1. , on an USB port .

Comments

• jeweljewel Posts: 52Member
    : I need the device driver to connect a DISHNET DSL modem to an installation of Red-Hat
    : Linux 7.1. , on an USB port .
    :
    http://www.megalinux.net/archives/000011.html
  • cheriocherio Posts: 33Member
    : : I need the device driver to connect a DISHNET DSL modem to an installation of Red-Hat
    : : Linux 7.1. , on an USB port .
    : :
    : http://www.megalinux.net/archives/000011.html
    :

Thank you !!! Driver downloaded

Too unfortunate that DISHNET itself isn'nt willing to disclose the model of their modem.They said there are no drivers for linux and I need to put windows on my system to connect their usb modem.

Also unfortunate that the information for linux especially is scattered around, and there is no one OFFICIAL place on the net for total linux related support,for both general and specific distributions.

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : : : I need the device driver to connect a DISHNET DSL modem to an installation of Red-Hat
    : : : Linux 7.1. , on an USB port .
    : : :
    : : http://www.megalinux.net/archives/000011.html
    :
    : Thank you !!! Driver downloaded
    :
    : Too unfortunate that DISHNET itself isn'nt willing to disclose the model of their modem.They said there are no drivers for linux and I need to put windows on my system to connect their usb modem.
    :
    : Also unfortunate that the information for linux especially is scattered around, and there is no one OFFICIAL place on the net for total linux related support,for both general and specific distributions.
    :
    :

I get discouraged too. Seems that some hardware manufacturers are unwilling to support or help linux users. I'd think that manufacturers would want to develope drivers for any OS that thier customers may be using. That way they'd have more customers instead of customers who are only using one particular OS. I hear IT pros spouting about diversafication, but I do not see it where linux is concerned. If diversafication was a goal they'd make sure thier products worked with other popular systems. BTW, no one should ever tell you to use a certain OS. That's like telling you to eat only apples and never to eat a pear. If a hardware product does not work in Linux do not buy it! Especially true with modems. Also it makes little sense to limit a dsl connection to windows because many servers and routers run linux. Servers and routers need to connect. I'd sure hate to pay the $$$$$ for a win2000 server just so I can use a dsl modem, when a slackware server can be so cheap.
    Well, I've ranted enough about things you all know already.
    BASIC Friend
  • jeweljewel Posts: 52Member
    : : : : I need the device driver to connect a DISHNET DSL modem to an installation of Red-Hat
    : : : : Linux 7.1. , on an USB port .
    : : : :
    : : : http://www.megalinux.net/archives/000011.html
    : : :
    : : Thank you !!! Driver downloaded
    : : Too unfortunate that DISHNET itself isn'nt willing to disclose the model of their modem.They said there are no drivers for linux and I need to put windows on my system to connect their usb modem.
    : : Also unfortunate that the information for linux especially is scattered around, and there is no one OFFICIAL place on the net for total linux related support,for both general and specific distributions.
    :
    : I get discouraged too. Seems that some hardware manufacturers are unwilling to support or help linux users. I'd think that manufacturers would want to develope drivers for any OS that thier customers may be using. That way they'd have more customers instead of customers who are only using one particular OS. I hear IT pros spouting about diversafication, but I do not see it where linux is concerned. If diversafication was a goal they'd make sure thier products worked with other popular systems. BTW, no one should ever tell you to use a certain OS. That's like telling you to eat only apples and never to eat a pear. If a hardware product does not work in Linux do not buy it! Especially true with modems. Also it makes little sense to limit a dsl connection to windows because many servers and routers run linux. Servers and routers need to connect. I'd sure hate to pay the $$$$$ for a win2000 server just so I can use a dsl modem, when a slackware server can be so cheap.
    : Well, I've ranted enough about things you all know already.
    : BASIC Friend
    :

Well, yeah! i guess you are right.. so sad..

The only problem i had w/ linux and hw is a jensen usb modem. The funny thing, is that they labeled their box stating "Works with linux". It didnt. Dont blame me, my mother bought it since i didnt had to open the computer to install it. Well, i replaced it with a PCI nic later, problem solved :}

But before you buy hw, google.com/linux it. I allways do ;)
  • BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    : Well, yeah! i guess you are right.. so sad..
    :
    : The only problem i had w/ linux and hw is a jensen usb modem. The funny thing, is that they labeled their box stating "Works with linux". It didnt. Dont blame me, my mother bought it since i didnt had to open the computer to install it. Well, i replaced it with a PCI nic later, problem solved :}
    :
    : But before you buy hw, google.com/linux it. I allways do ;)
    :
    You know, I've seen the same modem for sale and I was thinking of buying one. I guess I shouldn't trust what the box says. The best luck I've had with a modem was with the US Robotics Performance Pro Modem. I plugged it in and it worked immediately, without downloading MBs of drivers. The thing that hurt was that it cost me $80 at wally world. To get the same modem to work in windows you have to install the drivers from the CD. Funny huh?