Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

openGL compiler for windows

sairsair Posts: 26Member
Hi does anyoune know of a C/C++ compiler (preferably free and downloadable) for windows which supprts openGL or does windows only use directX?
I have DevC++ and downloaded Glut.h but it doesnt seem to recognise that its even there! perhaps Im not doing someting when adding it to the libry or summits!

any help would be muchos appreciated.
Thanks my fellow programmers

Sair

Comments

• Cactus JoeCactus Joe Posts: 5Member
    I know Windows supports OpenGL because I use it. However, I don't use DevC++. I can take a guess though. To use Glut.h with MS Visual Studio I needed to paste GLUT.DLL in the project folder. Perhaps you need to do something along those lines.
    [hr]
    Why can't we use HTML!?

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2003-5-4 16:54:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hi does anyoune know of a C/C++ compiler (preferably free and downloadable) for windows which supprts openGL or does windows only use directX?
    : I have DevC++ and downloaded Glut.h but it doesnt seem to recognise that its even there! perhaps Im not doing someting when adding it to the libry or summits!
    :
    : any help would be muchos appreciated.
    : Thanks my fellow programmers
    :
    : Sair
    :
    :
    GL is coded in plain C/C++. The 1.1 or 1.0 headers and libraries should have shipped with your compiler. If not, you can go to OpenGL.org and download them. All you need to do is include the headers in your code and you're set.

*EDIT*

Glut is not exactly the most reliable thing out there. It's for people who don't really understand coding too much and makes GL easier for them. If you're having trouble using it, check out the glut website. I myself stay miles away from it because if I wanted my graphics and frames to be as slow as DirectX, I'd just use DX. On top of that, glut may make it simple to create an OpenGL window or draw a simple scene, but it is SERIOUSLY limited as opposed to just using plain GL. If you want to learn GL without glut, simply check out the redbook and bluebook (both are online for free viewing) and check out gamedev.net.