IA for games - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

IA for games

SamuraiSamurai Posts: 29Member
Hi,

anyone knows any good book or online source to lear something about IA for games?

Bye

Comments

• kreitlerkreitler Posts: 218Member
    Hey Samurai,
    A lot of people I know have "AI Programming Wisdom", though I've never read it. Also, if you have a specific kind of game AI you want to write (chess, war game, first person shooter, etc), people might be able to post more specific answers to your question.

Cheers,

Kreitler

: Hi,
    :
    : anyone knows any good book or online source to lear something about IA for games?
    :
    : Bye
    :

• SamuraiSamurai Posts: 29Member
    Thanks for the reply.

I think in some kind of turn based strategy game, a war game actually. Any more specific help?

Bye

: Hey Samurai,
    : A lot of people I know have "AI Programming Wisdom", though I've never read it. Also, if you have a specific kind of game AI you want to write (chess, war game, first person shooter, etc), people might be able to post more specific answers to your question.
    :
    : Cheers,
    :
    : Kreitler
  • korkor Posts: 198Member
    : Thanks for the reply.
    :
    : I think in some kind of turn based strategy game, a war game actually. Any more specific help?
    :
    : Bye
    :
    : : Hey Samurai,
    : : A lot of people I know have "AI Programming Wisdom", though I've never read it. Also, if you have a specific kind of game AI you want to write (chess, war game, first person shooter, etc), people might be able to post more specific answers to your question.
    : :
    : : Cheers,
    : :
    : : Kreitler
    :
    I personally feel turn based ai is far harder than something simple like a first person shooter, but I'll see what I can do, but since I don't know any books or anything, so I'll just toss out some ideas...
    First, determine how aggressive and defensive it should be, and if it should be infallable or not. It's easy to force a draw, minimum, if you know the terrain in advance, and have sufficient information about the systems, and can chose one or two things. It's easy to make a crappy ai and easy to make one that can't lose, the hard part is making one that can lose, but not easily.
    A lot of the actual design depends on what type of war game it is. Do you get a set amount to start, or can you manufacture units? can you mine resources, or is all that fixed? can you steal resources, or just destroy other player's stuff?
    Well, i don't know. I mean, i have the game idea but nothing in concrete yet. I was looking for some information, learning the process of game programing and all that not fun but necessary stuff. Now i'm searching for some information of AI for games. I'm in the learning process :D
  • kreitlerkreitler Posts: 218Member
    Hi Samurai,
    Here are some general-purpose topics, books, and links to help you in your search for AI info.

First off, you might want to read about Finite State Machines. All games use FSMs at some point, and often these are the main driving force behind the AI. You might also look at "rule based systems", "genetic algorithms", and--if you want to get esoteric--"neural networks".

Second, you might find some of these links useful. This site (www.ai-depot.com) is dedicated to AI. I just stumbled upon it using an Internet search--but it looks excellent. Also, you might want to visit www.gamedeveloper.com. This magazine/web site is written by game industry people for game industry people. The AI algorithms you'll find there have been applied to real games like Age of Empires. Note that you'll probably have to register to read the articles in the archives--but registration is free and you won't get a lot of spam if you sign up. Finally, this site (www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ) has a series of tutorials that cover writing a Battleship game in Java. Tutorial #5 explains how to create the AI code for the computer opponent, and shows you the code required. It's [italic]very[/italic] simple AI, but it's easy for a beginner to understand.

Finally, you might want to investigate some books. I've heard several people recommend "AI Programming Wisdom" and "AI Programming Gems". If you search Amazon.com for "Artificial Intelligence", you'll find several good titles, complete with user reviews to help you select the good and leave the rest.

I hope this helps.

Kreitler

: Well, i don't know. I mean, i have the game idea but nothing in concrete yet. I was looking for some information, learning the process of game programing and all that not fun but necessary stuff. Now i'm searching for some information of AI for games. I'm in the learning process :D
    :

: Hi Samurai,
    : Here are some general-purpose topics, books, and links to help you in your search for AI info..............
    : : Kreitler

Thanks Kreitler. This information will be very useful. Thanks.

Bye

• korkor Posts: 198Member
    : Well, i don't know. I mean, i have the game idea but nothing in concrete yet. I was looking for some information, learning the process of game programing and all that not fun but necessary stuff. Now i'm searching for some information of AI for games. I'm in the learning process :D
    :
    As you may have guessed by now, I'm more useful with specific questions, like "how do I get it to do this", rather than theory, since I have no theory or books to back me up. However, I've never failed yet, so ask away.