EXECUTING A WINDOWS BASED PROGRAM - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

EXECUTING A WINDOWS BASED PROGRAM

bpajkbpajk Posts: 156Member
I am using Dev-Pascal and I am wondering how can you run a Windows based program from the pascal program. What unit do you need to use?

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I am using Dev-Pascal and I am wondering how can you run a Windows based program from the pascal program. What unit do you need to use?
    :
    :
    I'm not familiar with Dev-Pascal, but in TP and FreePascal you can use the Exec() procedure to call other programs. You need to check your documentation or help files to find if Dev-Pascal also has such a procedure and in which unit it is.
  • ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : : I am using Dev-Pascal and I am wondering how can you run a Windows based program from the pascal program. What unit do you need to use?
    : :
    : :
    : I'm not familiar with Dev-Pascal, but in TP and FreePascal you can use the Exec() procedure to call other programs. You need to check your documentation or help files to find if Dev-Pascal also has such a procedure and in which unit it is.

Dev-Pascal is just an IDE for FreePascal (and also GNU Pascal I believe). I'm not a big fan of it, but Ive heard of a lot of schools using it since it's free.
  • Mr. EgoMr. Ego Posts: 38Member
    I don't understand what you exactly mean. But maybe I can help you.
    If you want to execute another program from your source code, you should call the [b]WinExec[/b] function (I think it is named so). Micro$oft says that this function is archaic and maybe will be not early supported, but I can recommend it to you, at least for beginning. This function takes two parameters. Now I'm not sure what (I'll look to my API reference). But I think, that the first parameter can be 0 and the second is an executable name, with path, of course.
    You can call the [b]ShellExec[/b] function. This is more complicated and I can say now nothing about it.
    [b]OR[/b]
    Do you want 'only' to create Win32 application in Dev-Pascal? Then reply this message and I can tell you a few words about it.
    Bye