Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

EXECUTING A WINDOWS BASED PROGRAM

bpajkbpajk Posts: 156Member
I am using Dev-Pascal and I am wondering how can you run a Windows based program from the pascal program. What unit do you need to use?

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I am using Dev-Pascal and I am wondering how can you run a Windows based program from the pascal program. What unit do you need to use?
    :
    :
    I'm not familiar with Dev-Pascal, but in TP and FreePascal you can use the Exec() procedure to call other programs. You need to check your documentation or help files to find if Dev-Pascal also has such a procedure and in which unit it is.
  • ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : : I am using Dev-Pascal and I am wondering how can you run a Windows based program from the pascal program. What unit do you need to use?
    : :
    : :
    : I'm not familiar with Dev-Pascal, but in TP and FreePascal you can use the Exec() procedure to call other programs. You need to check your documentation or help files to find if Dev-Pascal also has such a procedure and in which unit it is.

Dev-Pascal is just an IDE for FreePascal (and also GNU Pascal I believe). I'm not a big fan of it, but Ive heard of a lot of schools using it since it's free.
  • Mr. EgoMr. Ego Posts: 38Member
    I don't understand what you exactly mean. But maybe I can help you.
    If you want to execute another program from your source code, you should call the [b]WinExec[/b] function (I think it is named so). Micro$oft says that this function is archaic and maybe will be not early supported, but I can recommend it to you, at least for beginning. This function takes two parameters. Now I'm not sure what (I'll look to my API reference). But I think, that the first parameter can be 0 and the second is an executable name, with path, of course.
    You can call the [b]ShellExec[/b] function. This is more complicated and I can say now nothing about it.
    [b]OR[/b]
    Do you want 'only' to create Win32 application in Dev-Pascal? Then reply this message and I can tell you a few words about it.
    Bye