Autogeneration of web pages - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Autogeneration of web pages

pinkspinks Posts: 2Member
Hello python fans,

I am a bit new to python and already liking this great language. I was trying to autogenerate html pages from cgi scripts. Basically I need to write a Python program to take a file marked up using the following system:

'* filename title' - creates a file using the given filename (with '.html' appended) and gives it the given title, both at the top of the browser (in the section) and as a top level heading (

) on the page.
'**' represents a section heading ()
'.' represents a paragraph
'-' represents an element in an unordered list ( in a )
'--' represents an element in an unordered list which is in another list
Markups must begin on the first character of a line
Markups may span multiple lines

and convert it into valid XHTML 1.0.

PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES. I ALREADY HAVE SOME FUNCTIONS DEFINED LIKE get_file and put_file which will be needed for this program.

Thanks,
pinks.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2003-4-2 7:17:20[/red][/b][hr]
    : Hello python fans,
    :
    : I am a bit new to python and already liking this great language. I was trying to autogenerate html pages from cgi scripts. Basically I need to write a Python program to take a file marked up using the following system:
    :
    : '* filename title' - creates a file using the given filename (with '.html' appended) and gives it the given title, both at the top of the browser (in the section) and as a top level heading (

) on the page.
    : '**' represents a section heading ()
    : '.' represents a paragraph
    : '-' represents an element in an unordered list ( in a )
    : '--' represents an element in an unordered list which is in another list
    : Markups must begin on the first character of a line
    : Markups may span multiple lines
    :
    : and convert it into valid XHTML 1.0.
    :
    : PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES. I ALREADY HAVE SOME FUNCTIONS DEFINED LIKE get_file and put_file which will be needed for this program.

did you have any specific questions?

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• pinkspinks Posts: 2Member
    I wanted to know how i start the python script; what are the variables needed to be defined.
  • infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : I wanted to know how i start the python script; what are the variables needed to be defined.

Oh, well the simplest way to write Python cgi scripts is like this:

The first line should be the "shebang":

On a *NIX system:
    [code]#!/usr/bin/python[/code]

On a Windows system:
    [code]#!C:Python22python.exe[/code]

Of course, the path may be different on your web server.

Then you need to print the header that tells your browser to expect html:

[code]print 'Content-type: text/html
    '[/code]

Make sure you have the newline at the end!

After that, anything you print will be parsed by the browser as html. For example:

[code]
    #!/usr/bin/python
    print 'Content-type: text/html
    '
    print """

My first cgi script!

Hello, world!

"""
    [/code]

Then you just drop that script in the cgi-bin on your server and call it with a regular URL in a browser.

Debugging cgi is rather frustrating, but there is a way in python to make it much easier to find code errors. Just after the shebang line (which must be the first line of the file) put this:

[code]import cgitb; cgitb.enable()[/code]

This imports the cgi traceback module. If any exceptions are raised by your script, you will get a pretty html display of the code and a description of the error and the line that caused it rather than the unhelpful "500: Internal Server Error".

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]