Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Python Distributing

kenikovkenikov Posts: 8Member
If I want have others test my program that I made, how do I show it to them on the net? This is my first language, and I made a simple guessing game. I want to be able to let people test it on the internet, or download it from my site like a regular program.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : If I want have others test my program that I made, how do I show it to them on the net? This is my first language, and I made a simple guessing game. I want to be able to let people test it on the internet, or download it from my site like a regular program.

They'll have to download and install the python interpreter from python.org

After that, you can send them your files any way you like.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

• kenikovkenikov Posts: 8Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by kenikov at 2003-3-24 18:46:23[/red][/b][hr]
    : : If I want have others test my program that I made, how do I show it to them on the net? This is my first language, and I made a simple guessing game. I want to be able to let people test it on the internet, or download it from my site like a regular program.
    :
    : They'll have to download and install the python interpreter from python.org
    :
    : After that, you can send them your files any way you like.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    :

So, everytime I make software the person has to have Python Interpreter to make it work? That seems like kind of a hassle for them, or is it just a plugin which they don't need to do anything like the FLASH plugin or Java plugin?

: So, everytime I make software the person has to have Python Interpreter to make it work? That seems like kind of a hassle for them, or is it just a plugin which they don't need to do anything like the FLASH plugin or Java plugin?

Python is interpreted. You can't normally run a Python script unless you have the Python interpreter. It's not like a typical browser plugin that can be downloaded automatically, it has to be installed. Once it's installed it can be used indefinitely. It's a very simple install. I believe that the Python license even allows you to give away copies of the setup package as much as you like.

• SkepsisSkepsis Posts: 9Member
    : : So, everytime I make software the person has to have Python Interpreter to make it work? That seems like kind of a hassle for them, or is it just a plugin which they don't need to do anything like the FLASH plugin or Java plugin?
    :
    : Python is interpreted. You can't normally run a Python script unless you have the Python interpreter. It's not like a typical browser plugin that can be downloaded automatically, it has to be installed. Once it's installed it can be used indefinitely. It's a very simple install. I believe that the Python license even allows you to give away copies of the setup package as much as you like.
    :
    :
    :
    :

Sorry to butt in but I have found a prog extension to Python that generates Executables.
    Its just called Installer at
    http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install5_ann.html

Its a little complex to use but for a simple trial prog it worked fine, the only thing it does is open anumber of files while it runs.
    A 1K prog to display the cursor postion yeilded up an .exe of 600K. Which is very good.
    IF you want to see the prog then drop me an E-mail at Skepsis@blueyonder.co.uk

Python is Excelent
    : : : So, everytime I make software the person has to have Python Interpreter to make it work? That seems like kind of a hassle for them, or is it just a plugin which they don't need to do anything like the FLASH plugin or Java plugin?
    : :
    : : Python is interpreted. You can't normally run a Python script unless you have the Python interpreter. It's not like a typical browser plugin that can be downloaded automatically, it has to be installed. Once it's installed it can be used indefinitely. It's a very simple install. I believe that the Python license even allows you to give away copies of the setup package as much as you like.
    : : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : Sorry to butt in but I have found a prog extension to Python that generates Executables.
    : Its just called Installer at
    : http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install5_ann.html
    :
    : Its a little complex to use but for a simple trial prog it worked fine, the only thing it does is open anumber of files while it runs.
    : A 1K prog to display the cursor postion yeilded up an .exe of 600K. Which is very good.
    : IF you want to see the prog then drop me an E-mail at Skepsis@blueyonder.co.uk
    :
    : Python is Excelent
    :

Okay, please excuse my idiotcy. So if I want my friend to be able to use my program, he has to copy/paste my script into Python Interpreter and run it?

So, how am I suppose to let people download my programs on the net, just make them copy/paste the script into python interpreter?
    - www10.brinkster.com/kenikov

: Okay, please excuse my idiotcy. So if I want my friend to be able to use my program, he has to copy/paste my script into Python Interpreter and run it?
    :
    : So, how am I suppose to let people download my programs on the net, just make them copy/paste the script into python interpreter?

No, if they install the python setup, then they should be able to simply double-click on your script (if they're using Windows) and it will run. If you name your script with a .pyw extension then it will run without a command prompt showing. If you use one of the "freeze" type programs that bundle up your script with the interpreter into an executable then they can simply run that, but the executables will be considerably larger than just the scripts.

[b][red]This message was edited by kenikov at 2003-3-26 16:36:56[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Okay, please excuse my idiotcy. So if I want my friend to be able to use my program, he has to copy/paste my script into Python Interpreter and run it?
    : : So, how am I suppose to let people download my programs on the net, just make them copy/paste the script into python interpreter?
    :
    : No, if they install the python setup, then they should be able to simply double-click on your script (if they're using Windows) and it will run. If you name your script with a .pyw extension then it will run without a command prompt showing. If you use one of the "freeze" type programs that bundle up your script with the interpreter into an executable then they can simply run that, but the executables will be considerably larger than just the scripts.
    :
    :
    :
    : Thanks.

If you don't mind, can you head to http://www10.brinkster.com/kenikov/projects.html to see if it works for you? I did it on a Mac, and most of the time my stuff doesn't work perfectly on a PC. It is just a quick-test program.

If not, can you give me a link to an address that has it done perfectly so I can see what I did wrong or right?

: If you don't mind, can you head to http://www10.brinkster.com/kenikov/projects.html to see if it works for you? I did it on a Mac, and most of the time my stuff doesn't work perfectly on a PC. It is just a quick-test program.
    :
    : If not, can you give me a link to an address that has it done perfectly so I can see what I did wrong or right?

What were you trying to do? If you're trying to make it run in the browser like a java applet then you're out of luck. I don't believe there is currently any way to run python scripts within a browser.

: : If you don't mind, can you head to http://www10.brinkster.com/kenikov/projects.html to see if it works for you? I did it on a Mac, and most of the time my stuff doesn't work perfectly on a PC. It is just a quick-test program.
    : : If not, can you give me a link to an address that has it done perfectly so I can see what I did wrong or right?
    :
    : What were you trying to do? If you're trying to make it run in the browser like a java applet then you're out of luck. I don't believe there is currently any way to run python scripts within a browser.
    :
    :
    :
    :

Hmm...how do I explain this.

Do you know those sites with the programs that you can download? They give you a link that says something like Athenal IRC, and then when you click it, it starts downloading into your computer.

Kind of like, say if you were to download a new browser. Once you click on the link to install it, it starts downloading into your computer, then you can view it through desktop, or whever you saved it to. That is what I am trying to do.
    - www10.brinkster.com/kenikov

: Hmm...how do I explain this.
    :
    : Do you know those sites with the programs that you can download? They give you a link that says something like Athenal IRC, and then when you click it, it starts downloading into your computer.
    :
    : Kind of like, say if you were to download a new browser. Once you click on the link to install it, it starts downloading into your computer, then you can view it through desktop, or whever you saved it to. That is what I am trying to do.

Oh, I see. You can either give instructions for your visitors to shift+click, or right-click->Save, or whatever it is for their browser to save a file instead of load it. Otherwise, I think you'd have to provide a file type that browsers already know is for downloading, like .zip or .exe -- just zip up your scripts and that should take care of it. It means another step involved for the downloader before running it, but since the scripts are just text files, I'm not sure if there's another way.