Problems installing BP - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Problems installing BP

NoNeXNoNeX Posts: 2Member
Hi

I recently found some older sourcecodes that I wrote back in the good old DOS-days - I even found my Borland Pascal and tried to install it but I keep getting this error: Too many subdirectories and the installation breaks. I've tried this under XP (ok, XP isn't really nice to DOS programs) so then I tried an installation under MS-DOS (using Virtual PC by Connectix) and I get the same thing. Any ideas what's causing this and how it can be fixed ?
This is what I tried under Virtual PC: I found a backup of my BP-Directory and simply copied it to the virtual hd - I then added c:pin to the path so I could just start it
I then found a backup of my BP-Directory and added bpin to the path. I can start the IDE just fine under Virtual PC - but as soon as I try to compile something I get "Internal Error 216 at [address:here]" and that's it. Does anyone know a way how I can run BP in a nice 'sandbox' environment like Virtual PC or VMWare ?

Thanks for your help

NoNeX

Comments

• ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2003-3-20 7:45:35[/red][/b][hr]
    : I recently found some older sourcecodes that I wrote back in the good old DOS-days - I even found my Borland Pascal and tried to install it but I keep getting this error: Too many subdirectories and the installation breaks. I've tried this under XP (ok, XP isn't really nice to DOS programs) so then I tried an installation under MS-DOS (using Virtual PC by Connectix) and I get the same thing. Any ideas what's causing this and how it can be fixed ?
    : This is what I tried under Virtual PC: I found a backup of my BP-Directory and simply copied it to the virtual hd - I then added c:pin to the path so I could just start it
    : I then found a backup of my BP-Directory and added bpin to the path. I can start the IDE just fine under Virtual PC - but as soon as I try to compile something I get "Internal Error 216 at [address:here]" and that's it. Does anyone know a way how I can run BP in a nice 'sandbox' environment like Virtual PC or VMWare ?

It works just fine under XP here. Try checking the compiler settings to make sure the directories are set right, or what I would personally do is reinstall from the disks instead of using a backup.

Nevermind I see you said you tried installing and got that error message. Maybe the directory you are installing to is too long? Are you just trying C:BP? Also, if you are installing from the hard-drive instead of disks, maybe the source directory is too long? I'd try copying the install to C:BPINST and installing from there to C:BP. If you still get that error I dont know what else it could be.
  • NoNeXNoNeX Posts: 2Member
    Hi

Yes, I was trying to install to C:BP - but the installation source was on E:CodeBP - after moving to C:BPinst it installed just fine - I thought it had something to do with the destination directories and didn't think about the source directoy.
    Right now I'm moving all the files to a directory on C: in Virtual PC and will see what'll happen... so... installing... it installs just fine - doh =)
    So now I'm down to the "Internal Error 216 at 0003:7595." - no idea what's triggering this.
    I can compile using Turbo Pascal - the only drawback now: Virtual PC dies after leaving the TP-IDE. Not really what I wanted ;-)
    In case anyone is using BP under Virtual PC or VMWare - please let me know.

NoNeX