Dial-up modem help - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Dial-up modem help

dietrichwdietrichw Posts: 29Member
Here is the modem i'm using:
Conexant HSF V92 56k Data Fax PCI Modem

Here are the steps i took to configuring it:
cat /proc/pci
(took the port# and irq # info)
setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0xc000 irq 3

echo setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0xc000 irq 3 >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I'm told that my modem should be configured now, when I type
setserial -bg /dev/ttyS2
I see:
/dev/ttyS2 at 0xfcc0 (irq = 5) is a 16550A

However, when I query the modem (I'm using kppp) using ttyS2 it tells me that my modem is busy. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Comments

• BASIC FriendBASIC Friend Posts: 354Member
    From what I found on this website http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/pci_list.html your modem appears to be a winmodem. There are probably drivers that you can install to get it working. I have found it easier just to buy new hardware modems that work out of the box (in linux). Hardware modems work fine in Windows too, but they are usually a tiny bit more expensive. It is good to know, though, that there are drivers out there for winmodems, but there are not drivers for every chipset. And when you do find the drivers you'll probably need to compile them. You'll need to be sure you have the libraries required to compile them.

I'm suprised that no one answered you before now.

: Here is the modem i'm using:
    : Conexant HSF V92 56k Data Fax PCI Modem
    :
    : Here are the steps i took to configuring it:
    : cat /proc/pci
    : (took the port# and irq # info)
    : setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0xc000 irq 3
    :
    : echo setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 0xc000 irq 3 >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    :
    : I'm told that my modem should be configured now, when I type
    : setserial -bg /dev/ttyS2
    : I see:
    : /dev/ttyS2 at 0xfcc0 (irq = 5) is a 16550A
    :
    : However, when I query the modem (I'm using kppp) using ttyS2 it tells me that my modem is busy. Can anyone help me? Thanks
    :
    :