Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Just a simple question, please help!!

Hi world,
I am a VB.Net programmer (newbie actually) but the only thing i am currently interested in is making games. Could anybody give me a reference to something (website, books) where i could try to make games using VB.Net or could anybody tell me what kind of language they use to make the games you do make???

Thanx
Dhruv(BattleGuard)

Comments

• kreitlerkreitler Posts: 218Member
    Hi Dhruv,
    I don't know much about VB.Net, but I *do* write games (normal and web games). For web games, I use Java. It's free (from www.java.sun.com), and you can get free IDEs for it (www.bluej.com and www.netbeans.com). Also, there are lots of good resources for it (try the tutorials at www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ, for instance).
    C/C++ is another good choice, but you won't find as many good tools for free.
    Hope some of this is useful.

Kreitler

: Hi world,
    : I am a VB.Net programmer (newbie actually) but the only thing i am currently interested in is making games. Could anybody give me a reference to something (website, books) where i could try to make games using VB.Net or could anybody tell me what kind of language they use to make the games you do make???
    :
    : Thanx
    : Dhruv(BattleGuard)
    :
    :
    :

• BattleGuardBattleGuard Posts: 166Member
    Hi,
    Thanx Kreitler. i have visual studio, which has everything from vb.net to visual c++ so i am going to try to make games with visual c++, because it is an advanced version. Thanx for the java idea. Do you have a website that you have games online? I just want to see if i can learn java and make simple games. Right now i am "trying" to make pong.

Thx for the response
    Dhruv(BattleGuard)

: Hi Dhruv,
    : I don't know much about VB.Net, but I *do* write games (normal and web games). For web games, I use Java. It's free (from www.java.sun.com), and you can get free IDEs for it (www.bluej.com and www.netbeans.com). Also, there are lots of good resources for it (try the tutorials at www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ, for instance).
    : C/C++ is another good choice, but you won't find as many good tools for free.
    : Hope some of this is useful.
    :
    : Kreitler
    :
    : : Hi world,
    : : I am a VB.Net programmer (newbie actually) but the only thing i am currently interested in is making games. Could anybody give me a reference to something (website, books) where i could try to make games using VB.Net or could anybody tell me what kind of language they use to make the games you do make???
    : :
    : : Thanx
    : : Dhruv(BattleGuard)
    :
    :

Hi Dhruv,
    Visual Studio is a great product--it's all you need if you want to write C++ games. However...there's *much* more to learn before you can get simple games going in C++ using VC++ and DirectX. I'd still recommend Java as a starting place--it's a lot like C++, but you can get a game going a lot faster and more easily. Once you get the hang of game programming in general, you can switch to C++ and work on mastering that.
    I do have a website with some simple games on them. In fact, the address I recommended earlier is a site I put together:

www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ

It has several tutorials to help you get started writing Java games. The first tutorial even has a simple pong example.
    Whatever you decide to do--VB, C++, Java--good luck. Feel free to ask questions any time.

Kreitler

: Hi,
    : Thanx Kreitler. i have visual studio, which has everything from vb.net to visual c++ so i am going to try to make games with visual c++, because it is an advanced version. Thanx for the java idea. Do you have a website that you have games online? I just want to see if i can learn java and make simple games. Right now i am "trying" to make pong.
    :
    : Thx for the response
    : Dhruv(BattleGuard)
    :
    : : Hi Dhruv,
    : : I don't know much about VB.Net, but I *do* write games (normal and web games). For web games, I use Java. It's free (from www.java.sun.com), and you can get free IDEs for it (www.bluej.com and www.netbeans.com). Also, there are lots of good resources for it (try the tutorials at www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ, for instance).
    : : C/C++ is another good choice, but you won't find as many good tools for free.
    : : Hope some of this is useful.
    : : Kreitler
    : : : Hi world,
    : : : I am a VB.Net programmer (newbie actually) but the only thing i am currently interested in is making games. Could anybody give me a reference to something (website, books) where i could try to make games using VB.Net or could anybody tell me what kind of language they use to make the games you do make???
    : : :
    : : : Thanx
    : : : Dhruv(BattleGuard)
    :
    :

Hi again,
    I forgot--I also have some small web games up on another part of the site:

www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/games/slide
    www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/games/wordwell
    www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/games/MagicPokerII

These are "intermediate" games, in terms of how hard they were to program. However, they show that Java can do real-time arcade games just fine.

You'll need IE or Netscape 5.0 or better to run them.

Cheers!

Kreitler

: Hi Dhruv,
    : Visual Studio is a great product--it's all you need if you want to write C++ games. However...there's *much* more to learn before you can get simple games going in C++ using VC++ and DirectX. I'd still recommend Java as a starting place--it's a lot like C++, but you can get a game going a lot faster and more easily. Once you get the hang of game programming in general, you can switch to C++ and work on mastering that.
    : I do have a website with some simple games on them. In fact, the address I recommended earlier is a site I put together:
    :
    : www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ
    :
    : It has several tutorials to help you get started writing Java games. The first tutorial even has a simple pong example.
    : Whatever you decide to do--VB, C++, Java--good luck. Feel free to ask questions any time.
    :
    :
    : : Hi,
    : : Thanx Kreitler. i have visual studio, which has everything from vb.net to visual c++ so i am going to try to make games with visual c++, because it is an advanced version. Thanx for the java idea. Do you have a website that you have games online? I just want to see if i can learn java and make simple games. Right now i am "trying" to make pong.
    : : Thx for the response
    : : Dhruv(BattleGuard)
    : : : Hi Dhruv,
    : : : I don't know much about VB.Net, but I *do* write games (normal and web games). For web games, I use Java. It's free (from www.java.sun.com), and you can get free IDEs for it (www.bluej.com and www.netbeans.com). Also, there are lots of good resources for it (try the tutorials at www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ, for instance).
    : : : C/C++ is another good choice, but you won't find as many good tools for free.
    : : : Hope some of this is useful.
    : : : Kreitler
    : : : : Hi world,
    : : : : I am a VB.Net programmer (newbie actually) but the only thing i am currently interested in is making games. Could anybody give me a reference to something (website, books) where i could try to make games using VB.Net or could anybody tell me what kind of language they use to make the games you do make???
    : : : :
    : : : : Thanx
    : : : : Dhruv(BattleGuard)
    :
    :

• BattleGuardBattleGuard Posts: 166Member
    Thanx,
    I'll use your (I presume) website's tutorial to get started with java. Then i'll move to c++.

Thx again
    Dhruv

: Hi again,
    : I forgot--I also have some small web games up on another part of the site:
    :
    : www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/games/slide
    : www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/games/wordwell
    : www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/games/MagicPokerII
    :
    : These are "intermediate" games, in terms of how hard they were to program. However, they show that Java can do real-time arcade games just fine.
    :
    : You'll need IE or Netscape 5.0 or better to run them.
    :
    : Cheers!
    :
    :
    : : Hi Dhruv,
    : : Visual Studio is a great product--it's all you need if you want to write C++ games. However...there's *much* more to learn before you can get simple games going in C++ using VC++ and DirectX. I'd still recommend Java as a starting place--it's a lot like C++, but you can get a game going a lot faster and more easily. Once you get the hang of game programming in general, you can switch to C++ and work on mastering that.
    : : I do have a website with some simple games on them. In fact, the address I recommended earlier is a site I put together:
    : : www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ
    : : It has several tutorials to help you get started writing Java games. The first tutorial even has a simple pong example.
    : : Whatever you decide to do--VB, C++, Java--good luck. Feel free to ask questions any time.
    : : Kreitler
    : : : Hi,
    : : : Thanx Kreitler. i have visual studio, which has everything from vb.net to visual c++ so i am going to try to make games with visual c++, because it is an advanced version. Thanx for the java idea. Do you have a website that you have games online? I just want to see if i can learn java and make simple games. Right now i am "trying" to make pong.
    : : : Thx for the response
    : : : Dhruv(BattleGuard)
    : : : : Hi Dhruv,
    : : : : I don't know much about VB.Net, but I *do* write games (normal and web games). For web games, I use Java. It's free (from www.java.sun.com), and you can get free IDEs for it (www.bluej.com and www.netbeans.com). Also, there are lots of good resources for it (try the tutorials at www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ, for instance).
    : : : : C/C++ is another good choice, but you won't find as many good tools for free.
    : : : : Hope some of this is useful.
    : : : : Kreitler
    : : : : : Hi world,
    : : : : : I am a VB.Net programmer (newbie actually) but the only thing i am currently interested in is making games. Could anybody give me a reference to something (website, books) where i could try to make games using VB.Net or could anybody tell me what kind of language they use to make the games you do make???
    : : : : :
    : : : : : Thanx
    : : : : : Dhruv(BattleGuard)