Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Access Databases with ASP.NET with IIS 5.1

BiegeBiege Member Posts: 5
I started developing ASP.NET web applications about three weeks ago. I was doing perfectly with sql databases and all the server controls but when I tried to access an Access database, I got this wierd error, something to the effect of:
"The database file (database file path and name) cannot be opened. Either another user is connected or you need permsission to view its data" - then there is a reference to System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException..
I have searched high and low for information about this error and all I have found is in the book "ASP.NET programming with C#" by Wrox. The book talks about this kind of thing being a common issue with Access databases and you can fix it by adding a new user and setting the WRITE permission to checked (or on). I tried this but the book is talking about iis 5.0 and I have iis 5.1 (what difference this makes I don't know) Anyway, I still get the error and any addition of the WRITE permission does not effect anything that I need it too. Help... Its driving me crazy.

Comments

• lillulillu Member Posts: 308
    Here's a complete example from Wrox's Beginning ASP.NET 1.1 with VB.NET:
    BTW, the connexion string just the same as it was in Classic ASP when you connected thru the Oledb driver. However, now that ASP.NET is object-oriented, you have to import the right modules before even attempting to do practically anything useful.

<%@ import Namespace="System.Data" %>
    <%@ import Namespace="System.Data.Oledb" %>

Sub Page_Load()
    Set up our connection string and display on the page
    Dim strConnection as String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
    strConnection += "Data Source=C:BegASPNETch12Northwind.mdb"
    data_src.text = strConnection

Dim objConnection as New OledbConnection(strConnection)

Now we attempt to open the connection
    try
    objConnection.Open()
    con_open.text="Connection opened successfully.
    "
    objConnection.Close()
    con_close.text="Connection closed.
    "
    catch e as Exception
    con_open.text="Connection failed to open.
    "
    con_close.text=e.ToString()
    end try
    end Sub

Testing the data connection

: I started developing ASP.NET web applications about three weeks ago. I was doing perfectly with sql databases and all the server controls but when I tried to access an Access database, I got this wierd error, something to the effect of:
    : "The database file (database file path and name) cannot be opened. Either another user is connected or you need permsission to view its data" - then there is a reference to System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException..
    : I have searched high and low for information about this error and all I have found is in the book "ASP.NET programming with C#" by Wrox. The book talks about this kind of thing being a common issue with Access databases and you can fix it by adding a new user and setting the WRITE permission to checked (or on). I tried this but the book is talking about iis 5.0 and I have iis 5.1 (what difference this makes I don't know) Anyway, I still get the error and any addition of the WRITE permission does not effect anything that I need it too. Help... Its driving me crazy.
    :

[hr][grey]To err is human, but to really foul things up requires a computer. (Farmers Almanac)[/grey] :-)