Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

problem w CWnd and SendMessage

arvind17arvind17 Posts: 62Member
hi,
I have a Draw_Consumer class deveried fr CWnd. I want to use the sendmessage here. I want to send message to WM_LBUTTONDOWN.

see code:
SendMessage( WM_LBUTTONDOWN, MK_LBUTTON, 50 );

My OnLButtonDown fn is implemented in the view class. This is where the message is targeted to go.

I run my application as above and the following assertion error.

_AFXWIN_INLINE LRESULT CWnd::SendMessage(UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
{ ASSERT(::IsWindow(m_hWnd)); return ::SendMessage(m_hWnd, message, wParam, lParam); }

in one of the C:program files.. files where vc++ has been installed.

I guess that that the sendmessage is complaining that the message is not send it the same window - IsWindow(m_hWnd).

Well, I will need to send the message to the view class as I desc above and I will be needing some help for that.
Thanks.............

regards
-arvind

Comments

• AldebaranAldebaran Posts: 23Member
    : hi,
    : I have a Draw_Consumer class deveried fr CWnd. I want to use the sendmessage here. I want to send message to WM_LBUTTONDOWN.
    :
    : see code:
    : SendMessage( WM_LBUTTONDOWN, MK_LBUTTON, 50 );
    :
    : My OnLButtonDown fn is implemented in the view class. This is where the message is targeted to go.
    :
    : I run my application as above and the following assertion error.
    :
    : _AFXWIN_INLINE LRESULT CWnd::SendMessage(UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)
    : { ASSERT(::IsWindow(m_hWnd)); return ::SendMessage(m_hWnd, message, wParam, lParam); }
    :
    : in one of the C:program files.. files where vc++ has been installed.
    :
    : I guess that that the sendmessage is complaining that the message is not send it the same window - IsWindow(m_hWnd).
    :
    : Well, I will need to send the message to the view class as I desc above and I will be needing some help for that.
    : Thanks.............
    :
    : regards
    : -arvind

If you want to send a message to target object x, you call it as

x.SendMessage(....);

In this case, since the target, ie, the object that should receive the WM_LBUTTONDOWN message is a CView object, you have to call as

[code].SendMessage(....);[/code]

In your code, you haven't specified the instance on which the method should be called. When no instance is explicitly specified, the default instance is [b]this[/b], ie the object that made the call. Hence in your case, since the call is made from a Draw_Consumer object, the message is sent to the same Draw_Consumer object, not to the desired CView object. Since you aren't handling the message in your message map, you end up with the assertion.

Change the method, say Draw_Consumer::func(), which calls SendMessage to take a CWnd* or CWnd& argument, and while calling this method, pass the address or reference of your CView object.

• arvind17arvind17 Posts: 62Member
    hi,
    I understand what u say but what are the code to get the view object.
    It's the default view object that's created when with the mfc wizard that I am speaking about.

regards
    -arvind

• AldebaranAldebaran Posts: 23Member
    : hi,
    : I understand what u say but what are the code to get the view object.
    : It's the default view object that's created when with the mfc wizard that I am speaking about.
    :
    : regards
    : -arvind

Since you want to send to default view object, do
    [code]
    CWnd* defview = AfxGetApp() -> m_pMainWnd;
    defview -> SendMessage (WM_LBUTTONDOWN, etc.)
    [/code]