Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

reboot w/o warning

I have 20+ years of unix experience, and am just now attempting to "get into" linux. I am attempting to migrate all of my various work environments to linux. I got the book "Red Hat Linux 8" (/var/log/messages says it is version 2.4.18-14) and installed it on my PC. It has: AMD Duron 1100mhz processor, 256m RAM, 30gig hdd, S3 ViRGE video card, Compaq MV920 monitor. The install seemed to identify all of the above without a hitch.

My problem? The linux box will just reboot without warning. I'll be working along doing and the screen will go blank and start up the memory check. It will continue booting as if I just turned on the box. Sometimes it tells me there was a problem and suggest fsck, sometimes it will act as if I did a shutdown. I have not been able to track down what could be causing the problem. The last time it happened, all I was doing was surfing the web.

Any suggestions on where to look for the error reports? I've checked /var/log/messages, but nothing out of the ordinary popped out.

If you'd like to communicate directly, try me at: lee@critesclan.com

Thanks muchly...

Lee

Comments