Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I have Windows XP on my computer, I want Linux also, but how?

dietrichwdietrichw Member Posts: 29
I have been reading books, but they say that 'Partition Magic' works for Windows 98 files. Will it work for Windows XP also? If not, how do I go about putting Linux on my computer.

thanks,

P.S. I am using only one hard drive. But its a 30 GB and I've only used about a 1/4 of it.

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : I have been reading books, but they say that 'Partition Magic' works for Windows 98 files. Will it work for Windows XP also? If not, how do I go about putting Linux on my computer.
    :
    : thanks,
    :
    :
    : P.S. I am using only one hard drive. But its a 30 GB and I've only used about a 1/4 of it.
    :

try to search google.com/linux for dualboot howto.

Good luck
  • abcabc Member Posts: 443
    : I have been reading books, but they say that 'Partition Magic' works for Windows 98 files. Will it work for Windows XP also? If not, how do I go about putting Linux on my computer.
    :
    :
    :
    : P.S. I am using only one hard drive. But its a 30 GB and I've only used about a 1/4 of it.
    :

PM will do it if you have the right version (>= 7 if I remember correctly). there is some ntfs resize support in linux - more on that here:
    http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html#example
  • nachiket2k2nachiket2k2 Member Posts: 70
    :
    :
    :
    :

THE SOLUTION OF YOUR PROBLEM IS GIVEN IN THE MAGAZINE 'PCQuest'.
    IT IS AVAILABLE IN INDIA.
    IF YOU ARE IN INDIA THEN PURCHASE THAT ONE.
    OR MAIL TO linux@pcquest.com TELL THEM YOUR PROBLEM WITH GREAT DETAIL & REQUEST THEM TO GIVE ONLINE SOLUTION FOR YOU IF YOU ARE NOT IN INDIA.
  • dietrichwdietrichw Member Posts: 29
    I was given a 2nd hard drive and just set it up as a slave to the 1st one. And then installed Red Hat 8.0 on it, partioning the hard drive wasn't even a problem.