PC Game Development ! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

PC Game Development !

Hey, Guys

I am new to this kind of stuff, I wanted to know on where to begin on creating small pc-games or even bigger. I am no fan of C/C++ but I understand that you need to learn C/C++ to write game's for the PC .

I just want to create a little game to start me off, I don't really wan't to learn C/C++ to do this .

But if you guys could just tell me on what I will need then I would truly appreciate your kindness and support .

I am downloading "dings_e.exe" will this help me, I found it in the Game Development section of the main page .

Regards, Lee

Comments

• korkor Posts: 198Member
    : Hey, Guys
    :
    : I am new to this kind of stuff, I wanted to know on where to begin on creating small pc-games or even bigger. I am no fan of C/C++ but I understand that you need to learn C/C++ to write game's for the PC .
    :
    : I just want to create a little game to start me off, I don't really wan't to learn C/C++ to do this .
    :
    : But if you guys could just tell me on what I will need then I would truly appreciate your kindness and support .
    :
    : I am downloading "dings_e.exe" will this help me, I found it in the Game Development section of the main page .
    :
    : Regards, Lee
    :

You don't need C or C++, but it is the most popular. You could use any programming language. I like assembler, more control and you can still do any c function calls you want, which should be minimal, probably only for input and output.
  • sweeneysweeney Posts: 117Member
    : : Hey, Guys
    : :
    : : I am new to this kind of stuff, I wanted to know on where to begin on creating small pc-games or even bigger. I am no fan of C/C++ but I understand that you need to learn C/C++ to write game's for the PC .
    : : I just want to create a little game to start me off, I don't really wan't to learn C/C++ to do this .
    : : But if you guys could just tell me on what I will need then I would truly appreciate your kindness and support .
    : : I am downloading "dings_e.exe" will this help me, I found it in the Game Development section of the main page .
    : : Regards, Lee
    :
    : You don't need C or C++, but it is the most popular. You could use any programming language. I like assembler, more control and you can still do any c function calls you want, which should be minimal, probably only for input and output.
    :
    yea am getting help on tetris in pascal! its not to bad to understand! much easyer than c/C++ if you want you could e-mail me and I will help you on pascal!

sweeney

• cignox1cignox1 Posts: 33Member
    : Hey, Guys
    :
    : I am new to this kind of stuff, I wanted to know on where to begin on creating small pc-games or even bigger. I am no fan of C/C++ but I understand that you need to learn C/C++ to write game's for the PC .
    :
    : I just want to create a little game to start me off, I don't really wan't to learn C/C++ to do this .
    :
    : But if you guys could just tell me on what I will need then I would truly appreciate your kindness and support .
    :
    : I am downloading "dings_e.exe" will this help me, I found it in the Game Development section of the main page .
    :
    : Regards, Lee
    :

Hi, this' what I think about your questions:
    -No, you don't need C/C++ to write game, but since these are the most used, many API's and tools are designed to be used mostly from them. If you don't like C++, you can learn at least C, witch is not much more hard than Pascal, but give you more control, higher access to the hardware (even if in Win is no longer so simple) and better performance. Thinking at the future, learning C is perhaps a better idea than pascal (C++ is an extension of C and since Java is similar...). Furthermore, big projects are helped by C/C++.

-For simple Windows games (2D) you can use GDI, the interface that win uses to get access to the graphic hardware.

These are only my impression, and I hope that they helped you somehow.

• MatrixxMatrixx Posts: 3Member
    : : Hey, Guys
    : : I am new to this kind of stuff, I wanted to know on where to begin on creating small pc-games or even bigger. I am no fan of C/C++ but I understand that you need to learn C/C++ to write game's for the PC .
    : : I just want to create a little game to start me off, I don't really wan't to learn C/C++ to do this .
    : : But if you guys could just tell me on what I will need then I would truly appreciate your kindness and support .
    : : I am downloading "dings_e.exe" will this help me, I found it in the Game Development section of the main page .
    : : Regards, Lee
    :
    : Hi, this' what I think about your questions:
    : -No, you don't need C/C++ to write game, but since these are the most used, many API's and tools are designed to be used mostly from them. If you don't like C++, you can learn at least C, witch is not much more hard than Pascal, but give you more control, higher access to the hardware (even if in Win is no longer so simple) and better performance. Thinking at the future, learning C is perhaps a better idea than pascal (C++ is an extension of C and since Java is similar...). Furthermore, big projects are helped by C/C++.
    :
    : -For simple Windows games (2D) you can use GDI, the interface that win uses to get access to the graphic hardware.
    :
    : These are only my impression, and I hope that they helped you somehow.
    :
    :
    I would say that if you want to learn to program games and don't want to learn c/c++ then java is a good alternative, it is easy to learn, the compiler is free and unbelievably easy to manipulate graphics, multithreading etc. in.