Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Are there labels in Pascal?

jim_giboneyjim_giboney Posts: 56Member
I know you can use Labels in Basic, and I think C++, but can you use them in pascal?

In basic, you would use:
[code]
LabelX:
//code
if a = 5 then
GOTO LabelX;
end
[/code]

If there are labels (Surely there are, right?) how would you use them?

Comments

• OpiusOpius Posts: 14Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Opius at 2003-2-24 16:15:50[/red][/b][hr]
    : I know you can use Labels in Basic, and I think C++, but can you use them in pascal?
    :
    : In basic, you would use:
    : [code]
    : LabelX:
    : //code
    : if a = 5 then
    : GOTO LabelX;
    : end
    : [/code]
    :
    : If there are labels (Surely there are, right?) how would you use them?
    :

Labels/Goto statements are an integral part of spaghetti code. Fortunately (or unfortunately), there are no label/gotos in any strutctured programming language such as C++ or Pascal, at least as far as I know. An easy way to do this sort of thing is to use procedures and functions. Example

[code]
    procedure RandomProcedureName(parameters);
    begin
    //code
    end;

begin
    //code
    if a=5 then
    RandomProcedureName(parameters);
    end.
    [/code]

Functions operate in a similar way but must be used in an equation or output statement.

-Opius

• Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : I know you can use Labels in Basic, and I think C++, but can you use them in pascal?
    :
    :
    :

Yep, you can. It's as easy as this:

[code]
    USES Crt;
    VAR
    Key : Char

LABEL VeryTop;

Begin
    VeryTop:
    WriteLn('Press a key...');
    ReadKey := Key;
    If UpCase(Key) <> 'Y' Then Goto VeryTop;
    End.
    [/code]

Simple. Just decalre that before using them (Cannot be done in code section)

Phat Nat
  • ManningManning Posts: 1,621Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Opius at 2003-2-24 16:15:50[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I know you can use Labels in Basic, and I think C++, but can you use them in pascal?
    : :
    : : In basic, you would use:
    : : [code]
    : : LabelX:
    : : //code
    : : if a = 5 then
    : : GOTO LabelX;
    : : end
    : : [/code]
    : : If there are labels (Surely there are, right?) how would you use them?
    :
    :
    : Labels/Goto statements are an integral part of spaghetti code. Fortunately (or unfortunately), there are no label/gotos in any strutctured programming language such as C++ or Pascal, at least as far as I know. An easy way to do this sort of thing is to use procedures and functions. Example

Personally I havent ever used GOTO, but like everything there is a time and place for it. And Pascal does support it. Here is an example (written from memory, it may not be syntactically correct)

[code]
    procedure Test;
    label
    Bottom;
    var
    Ch: Char;
    begin
    while (1=1) do
    begin
    Ch := ReadKey;
    if (Ch = #27) then
    Goto Bottom;
    end;

:Bottom
    WriteLn('Used GOTO to exit the loop');
    end;
    [/code]
  • PerranPerran Posts: 241Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2003-2-25 7:10:38[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    :
    :
    Opius says in his post that labels help to create spaghetti code and that's correct. I would recommend learning to program without them. I started with Turbo Pascal 3.0 in 1984 and have never once used a label - goto. They're just not necessary. My$0.02
  • Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2003-2-25 7:10:38[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I know you can use Labels in Basic, and I think C++, but can you use them in pascal?
    : : In basic, you would use:
    : : [code]
    : : LabelX:
    : : //code
    : : if a = 5 then
    : : GOTO LabelX;
    : : end
    : : [/code]
    : : If there are labels (Surely there are, right?) how would you use them?
    : Opius says in his post that labels help to create spaghetti code and that's correct. I would recommend learning to program without them. I started with Turbo Pascal 3.0 in 1984 and have never once used a label - goto. They're just not necessary. My$0.02

Yes and No. They aren't the greatest way of doing loops and in general you are right, they should be avoided, However, I recently used a GOTO statement in an emulator that I was creating. Since Emulation depends on speed and REPEAT UNTIL / WHILE DO statements always do some sort of check Even if it's something like: REPEAT UNTIL 1 = 2. although these would never be equal, it still would check first. By using a GOTO, you can skip the check step. That's the only place I've ever used one however. My $0.02

Phat Nat