Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

CFile Class Problems

TrinaryCoderTrinaryCoder Member Posts: 10
I am using Visual C++ 6 for a project I am working on. I have figured out how to open/read/write to files, but I have a problem. I need to create a directory for files to be written in. I thought it would have created a directory automatically, but that is not the case. How would you create a new subdirectory in Visual C++ with MFC? And help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• stoberstober Member Posts: 9,765 ✭✭✭
    : I am using Visual C++ 6 for a project I am working on. I have figured out how to open/read/write to files, but I have a problem. I need to create a directory for files to be written in. I thought it would have created a directory automatically, but that is not the case. How would you create a new subdirectory in Visual C++ with MFC? And help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    :
    [blue] You have to create them one at a time using this function for Windows os.[/blue]
    [code]
    BOOL CreateDirectoryEx(
    LPCTSTR lpTemplateDirectory, // template directory
    LPCTSTR lpNewDirectory, // directory name
    LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpSecurityAttributes // SD
    );
    [/code]

• veliusvelius Member Posts: 456
    You can use
    [code]
    BOOL CreateDirectory(
    LPCTSTR lpPathName, // pointer to directory path string
    LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpSecurityAttributes // pointer to security descriptor
    );
    [/code]
    Instead of using CreateDirectoryEx(). This one does not require a string pointing to a template directory.
    [hr]
    When it came down to it I dropped everything and ran.
    -Ramza Final Fantasy Tactics

• AsmGuru62AsmGuru62 Member Posts: 6,519
    : You can use
    : [code]
    : BOOL CreateDirectory(
    : LPCTSTR lpPathName, // pointer to directory path string
    : LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpSecurityAttributes // pointer to security descriptor
    : );
    : [/code]
    : Instead of using CreateDirectoryEx(). This one does not require a string pointing to a template directory.
    : [hr]
    : When it came down to it I dropped everything and ran.
    : -Ramza Final Fantasy Tactics
    :
    :
    [blue][b]SHCreateDirectoryEx()[/b] does it using full path name - even creating sub-folders, if they are not there.[/blue]
  • pascal.weisspascal.weiss Member Posts: 2
    [b][red]This message was edited by pascal.weiss at 2003-9-15 5:24:16[/red][/b][hr]
    What should lpTemplateDirectory have for a value ?
    I don't really understand what it means.

: [b][red]This message was edited by pascal.weiss at 2003-9-15 5:24:16[/red][/b][hr]
    : What should lpTemplateDirectory have for a value ?
    : I don't really understand what it means.
    :
    :
    :

useful only if you want to duplicate directory trees. Use SHCreateDirectoryEx() as AsmGuru62 suggested.
  • pascal.weisspascal.weiss Member Posts: 2
    : useful only if you want to duplicate directory trees. Use SHCreateDirectoryEx() as AsmGuru62 suggested.

Neither the compiler nor MSDN seem to know the function.
    Does it require Visual Studio .net ?
    Should I include a specific header or library ?

: : useful only if you want to duplicate directory trees. Use SHCreateDirectoryEx() as AsmGuru62 suggested.
    :
    : Neither the compiler nor MSDN seem to know the function.
    : Does it require Visual Studio .net ?
    : Should I include a specific header or library ?
    :
    :

yes, I get the same results. Searched all the .h files and there is no mention of that function, but it is referenced in the MSDN CD. I can only assume it is part of the Windows SDK that must be installed separately (I don't have it).

CreateDirectory() will be the next best choice.

• DB1DB1 Member Posts: 1,142
    : I am using Visual C++ 6 for a project I am working on. I have figured out how to open/read/write to files, but I have a problem. I need to create a directory for files to be written in. I thought it would have created a directory automatically, but that is not the case. How would you create a new subdirectory in Visual C++ with MFC? And help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    :

What about using plain old _mkdir("dirname");

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• ASCHUNKASCHUNK Member Posts: 19
    Hi,

use the CFile class to create a subdirectory. Since the CFile class does not support subdirectories you may have to build your own class that provides this functionality.
    Regards.
    Alex

: : I am using Visual C++ 6 for a project I am working on. I have figured out how to open/read/write to files, but I have a problem. I need to create a directory for files to be written in. I thought it would have created a directory automatically, but that is not the case. How would you create a new subdirectory in Visual C++ with MFC? And help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
    : :
    :
    :
    : What about using plain old _mkdir("dirname");
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :

• eveready2005eveready2005 Member Posts: 1
    : : You can use
    : : [code]:
    : : BOOL CreateDirectory(
    : : LPCTSTR lpPathName, // pointer to directory path string
    : : LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpSecurityAttributes // pointer to security descriptor
    : : );
    : : [/code]:
    : : Instead of using CreateDirectoryEx(). This one does not require a string pointing to a template directory.
    : : [hr]
    : : When it came down to it I dropped everything and ran.
    : : -Ramza Final Fantasy Tactics
    : [blue][b]SHCreateDirectoryEx()[/b] does it using full path name -
    : even creating sub-folders, if they are not there.[/blue]
    :

How to use this function? Can anybody give a simple example how to use this function to create a directory(for example: like c:abc) because I am a brand new fish in win32 api programming in using vc++ 2005 express version?
    Any hints would be appreciate.