Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What is the steps in creating a setup?

DamselDamsel Member Posts: 88
Hi

My program is finished and now I need to make a setup. I am very new to vb.net, and I am struggling.

I think I'm missing something so if someone can tell me the steps to follow I'd appreciate it.

Thanx
Damsel

Comments

• Ray2003Ray2003 Member Posts: 163
    : Hi
    :
    : My program is finished and now I need to make a setup. I am very new to vb.net, and I am struggling.
    :
    : I think I'm missing something so if someone can tell me the steps to follow I'd appreciate it.
    :
    : Thanx
    : Damsel
    :
    A time ago I made several good SETUP's and I'm making new ones and every time they're better than before. Here a descripion how to make a little setup:

1. Be sure that the MSVBVM60.DLL (maybe for VB.NET a higher version)exist in the directory of the setup so the setup has at least it's runtime.
    2. The first step in a setup is copying that dll to the Windowssystem directory (for win2000 and winXP WindowsSystem32) using FileCopy.
    3. Then the user has to select a path where to install your program. If you don't like much code the best thing you can do is using the COMDLG32.OCX (or higher). But be sure it is copied to the WindowsSystem directory at the same time you copied the MSVBVM60.DLL.
    This because there's already code in that control to create folders and selecting paths.
    4. Then copy all your installation files to that directory. If you got experience with VB you can even add decompression to your setup.
    5. Then you need to register all dll's and ocx's using the
    shell regsvr32 [filename]
    6. And the last thing isn't necesary (sorry but my english isn't very good) but that is adding registry keys to the registry. This using some api's but you only need to do this of you're using registry values in your program.

Once you've done this, you created a simple setup for your app.

Hope you can use (and understand) it :-) , Ray2003

• paulmorrisonpaulmorrison Member Posts: 127
    : : Hi
    : :
    : : My program is finished and now I need to make a setup. I am very new to vb.net, and I am struggling.
    : : I think I'm missing something so if someone can tell me the steps to follow I'd appreciate it.
    : : Thanx
    : : Damsel
    : A time ago I made several good SETUP's and I'm making new ones and every time they're better than before. Here a descripion how to make a little setup:
    :
    : 1. Be sure that the MSVBVM60.DLL (maybe for VB.NET a higher version)exist in the directory of the setup so the setup has at least it's runtime.
    : 2. The first step in a setup is copying that dll to the Windowssystem directory (for win2000 and winXP WindowsSystem32) using FileCopy.
    : 3. Then the user has to select a path where to install your program. If you don't like much code the best thing you can do is using the COMDLG32.OCX (or higher). But be sure it is copied to the WindowsSystem directory at the same time you copied the MSVBVM60.DLL.
    : This because there's already code in that control to create folders and selecting paths.
    : 4. Then copy all your installation files to that directory. If you got experience with VB you can even add decompression to your setup.
    : 5. Then you need to register all dll's and ocx's using the
    : shell regsvr32 [filename]
    : 6. And the last thing isn't necesary (sorry but my english isn't very good) but that is adding registry keys to the registry. This using some api's but you only need to do this of you're using registry values in your program.
    :
    : Once you've done this, you created a simple setup for your app.
    :
    : Hope you can use (and understand) it :-) , Ray2003
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I have a similar issue, but I don't know why you need to access the registry or even register DLLs. I have copied all files to a folder on a server and run the .exe file from client workstations. You just have to register the application with .NET Framework.
    I would like to copy files from a CD to a folder, and would like to execute the copy commands from with vb.net. Any help on that would be appreciated. Should I use the vscript?