Graphics.h + Windows XP = Error

I've been trying to use the graphics.h header file in a program, that's supposed to show simple graphics. But when I try to compile the program I get an error(don't remember exactly what it says, but something about DOS). And no there ain't no programming-faults.

Has this to do with that I use Windows XP, which is a non DOS-based OS?

Is there a way to get rid of the errormessage without changing OS?

Comments

• Well, there are two ways to solve the problem:

- change OS to MS-DOS
    - change your grapichs library and try OpenGL, DirectX, Sdl if you eant to work with Windows...

Bye, pippolo...
  • : Well, there are two ways to solve the problem:
    :
    : - change OS to MS-DOS
    : - change your grapichs library and try OpenGL, DirectX, Sdl if you eant to work with Windows...
    :
    : Bye, pippolo...
    :

Yeah, I guess you're right. I've been looking at DirectX, but it's a bit too advanced to use to impress my teacher in C++. :)
  • The simplest between openGL DirectX and SDL is SDL...
    You can begin with that...

Bye, pippolo!

• why all of a sudden the huge comeback for graphics.h??
    all the MB's have tons of questions on why graphics.h wont work.

: The simplest between openGL DirectX and SDL is SDL...
    : You can begin with that...
    :
    : Bye, pippolo!
    :

• I don't really know what's the hype of graphics.h

Maybe there's lot of people from my school here that want's to use it to impress the teacher. :)
  • : The simplest between openGL DirectX and SDL is SDL...
    : You can begin with that...
    :
    : Bye, pippolo!
    :

So what's SDL? Don't think I've heard of it.
  • SDL is a simply collection of grapichs library... like openGL or DirectX...

Bye, pippolo!
  • Aah, ok.

There's plenty of info about it here, right? :)
    otherwise, if you know a good site, please tell me! :)
  • : I don't really know what's the hype of graphics.h
    :
    : Maybe there's lot of people from my school here that want's to use it to impress the teacher. :)
    :

That header is an obsolete header that came with borland compilers. It only worked with borland compilers. It is not used to draw graphics. It is used to call functions in a graphic engine. The graphic engine is used to draw graphics. For the graphics do be drawn you should not only install your program on the target machine, but also the graphic engine that came with the borland compiler.

Also that graphics engine only works with DOS and only with programs compiled with old borland compilers for DOS.

If you want to impress your teacher, show her you are great at doing what you're asked and that you do not try to overdo.

• : That header is an obsolete header that came with borland compilers. It only worked with borland compilers. It is not used to draw graphics. It is used to call functions in a graphic engine. The graphic engine is used to draw graphics. For the graphics do be drawn you should not only install your program on the target machine, but also the graphic engine that came with the borland compiler.
    :
    : Also that graphics engine only works with DOS and only with programs compiled with old borland compilers for DOS.
    :
    : If you want to impress your teacher, show her you are great at doing what you're asked and that you do not try to overdo.
    :

Aaah. Thanks for that excellent explanation.

It's just that when the rest of the class has 2 months to complete the assignment and I'm done in a week or two. I'd like to do more, not too excessive, but just a little more. But I guess I'll forget about better graphics then.

• : : If you want to impress your teacher, show her you are great at doing what you're asked and that you do not try to overdo.
    : :
    :
    : Aaah. Thanks for that excellent explanation.
    :
    : It's just that when the rest of the class has 2 months to complete the assignment and I'm done in a week or two. I'd like to do more, not too excessive, but just a little more. But I guess I'll forget about better graphics then.
    :

Buy "Code Complete" and read it. It is most probably the best book around on how to write good code.

Then go ahead and change your code. Do not add runtime features. Add source code and documentation features.

If the project is extremelly simple just make sure it is well organized, that code is self describing and that comments do not describe the code but instead they describe the mindset of the coder. If there's a user interface, write a user manual.
    If the project is just a bit more complex than "extremelly simple" develop a formal requirement document (the assignement text from the teacher is a good starting point). Develop an analisys document that describes extra findings about the problem beyond the original requirements. Develop design document(s) and all use-cases. Describe the hight level view in UML. Separate the modules and describe each module interface to other modules and all modules interaction in UML.
    If you feel any module can be made more general (this will add features to the module but not to the program) do it. Document everithing you do and document each and every design decision you took explaining alternatives and the reason you did not take the alternatives.
    If there're patterns in our design, exploit them in the documentation (if you do not know what design patterns are, forget this part or buy and read "Design Patterns-Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software").

Also visit (if you haven't done it yet) www.developerdotstar.com.

-AF

• [blue]I just installed TC++ 3.0 on my WinXP Pro and good ole BGI works like a charm! There are some problems in your Turbo C or your XP... I think I will code some strategy game just out of nostalgia, he-he![/blue]
  • : Buy "Code Complete" and read it. It is most probably the best book around on how to write good code.
    :
    : Then go ahead and change your code. Do not add runtime features. Add source code and documentation features.
    :
    : If the project is extremelly simple just make sure it is well organized, that code is self describing and that comments do not describe the code but instead they describe the mindset of the coder. If there's a user interface, write a user manual.
    : If the project is just a bit more complex than "extremelly simple" develop a formal requirement document (the assignement text from the teacher is a good starting point). Develop an analisys document that describes extra findings about the problem beyond the original requirements. Develop design document(s) and all use-cases. Describe the hight level view in UML. Separate the modules and describe each module interface to other modules and all modules interaction in UML.
    : If you feel any module can be made more general (this will add features to the module but not to the program) do it. Document everithing you do and document each and every design decision you took explaining alternatives and the reason you did not take the alternatives.
    : If there're patterns in our design, exploit them in the documentation (if you do not know what design patterns are, forget this part or buy and read "Design Patterns-Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software").
    :
    : Also visit (if you haven't done it yet) www.developerdotstar.com.
    :
    : -AF

Thanks for the tips.
    I'll check it out!

• : [blue]I just installed TC++ 3.0 on my WinXP Pro and good ole BGI works like a charm! There are some problems in your Turbo C or your XP... I think I will code some strategy game just out of nostalgia, he-he![/blue]
    :

Yeah, I've realized that the compiler is the problems.
    And I just decided that graphics.h is.. unnecessary.. :)