Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

PS2 Question

I am trying to make a splitter cable for a ps2 keyboard where one keyboard will operate 2 computers (press the "a" key on one keyboard and "a" appears on both screens)

First the "Why" for those who care:
a friend of mine is big into online gaming (MMORPG), so much so that he pays for 2 subscriptions to the game, and plays both characters at the same time, he goes to one keyboard, and fights the bad guy, after the fight he goes to the other computer and heals his first character. He wants this so he can play both characters at the exact same time, when one character casts his spell, he wants the other to cast at the exact same time... Why he wants to do this? No clue, but he will pay me 20 bucks if I can make it work, so I figured I'd give it a shot...

First thing I tried is to just splice one cable into the other, and the keyboard will work with either plug as long as the other plug in unplugged, but not while both are plugged in (I had 2 disposable systems I am testing this with, in case something blows up), in fact system A started beeping madly at me when I pressed the num lock key...

did some research on the ps2 port and came up with this chart:
The pin layout on the 6-pin mini-DIN (PS/2) connector is as follows:

1 +Keyboard data(I/O)
2 Reserved(not connected)
3 Ground
4 +5V
5 Keyboard clock(I/O)
6 Reserved(not connected)

I am guessing that pins 1 and 5 are where the signals go to the computer, and also turn on/off the num lock,caps lock, and scroll lock lights... So I assume that why the spliced cable did not work is that the signal from 2 computers to the keyboard got confused... I am thinking of throwing a few diodes into the mess, and see if I can get it to work, take a look at my plan, and tell me how much of a moron I am and how much smoke will come from my computers from doing this, or with an luck, that it should work that way or what I am doing wrong. ( a "|>|" is a diode, a "Y" is a split in the line)
[code]
Pin 1 ---------Y------------ Pin 1 (system A)
------|>|--- Pin 1 (system B)

Pin 2 ---------Y------------ Pin 2 (system A)
------------ Pin 2 (system B)

Pin 3 ---------Y------------ Pin 3 (system A)
------------ Pin 3 (system B)

Pin 4 ---------------------- Pin 4 (system A)
Pin 4 (system B)

Pin 5 ---------Y------------ Pin 5 (system A)
------|>|--- Pin 5 (system B)

Pin 6 ---------Y------------ Pin 6 (system A)
------------ Pin 6 (system B)
[/code]
So, in theory, system B will not provide any power to the keyboard(pin 4 on the keyboard is not connected to pin 4 of system B), the keyboard will get its power form system A - only system A can send signals to the keyboard(diodes on pins 1 and 5 to system B prevent system B from sending to the keyboard) - and the keyboard can send it's signals to both systems.

What do you guys think? will it work? if not, know any way to accomplish this?

Comments

• gabristegabriste Posts: 2Member

: [code]
    : Pin 1 ---------Y------------ Pin 1 (system A)
    : ------|>|--- Pin 1 (system B)
    :
    : Pin 2 ---------Y------------ Pin 2 (system A)
    : ------------ Pin 2 (system B)
    :
    : Pin 3 ---------Y------------ Pin 3 (system A)
    : ------------ Pin 3 (system B)
    :
    : Pin 4 ---------------------- Pin 4 (system A)
    : Pin 4 (system B)
    :
    : Pin 5 ---------Y------------ Pin 5 (system A)
    : ------|>|--- Pin 5 (system B)
    :
    : Pin 6 ---------Y------------ Pin 6 (system A)
    : ------------ Pin 6 (system B)
    : [/code]

For any who care, I tried this and it did not work, system A worked fine, system B beeped at me till I pulled the power cord out of the back ;)

Any other ideas on this would be helpful, even if it's just an educated guess, it will be worth a shot... thanks in advance
  • ericj2190ericj2190 Posts: 11Member
    Use diodes where the slots enter the PCs. Be sure they face the right direction!
    -EricJ2190