Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Suggest ions for a compiler

shirldivashirldiva Member Posts: 35
[b][red]This message was edited by shirldiva at 2003-1-29 13:30:45[/red][/b][hr]
[b][red]This message was edited by shirldiva at 2003-1-29 13:25:19[/red][/b][hr]
Can someone suggest a compiler that will compile applications in multiple languages and work on Windows XP. Let's say RPG, Linux,
UNIX, COBOL, Java, HTML (XML) et al? If I keep Windows XP, would I be able to use Linux and UNIX also.?

Comments

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : [b][red]This message was edited by shirldiva at 2003-1-29 13:30:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : [b][red]This message was edited by shirldiva at 2003-1-29 13:25:19[/red][/b][hr]
    : Can someone suggest a compiler that will compile applications in multiple languages and work on Windows XP. Let's say RPG, Linux,
    : UNIX, COBOL, Java, HTML (XML) et al? If I keep Windows XP, would I be able to use Linux and UNIX also.?
    :

java maybe?

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : Can someone suggest a compiler that will compile applications in multiple languages and work on Windows XP. Let's say RPG, Linux,
    : UNIX, COBOL, Java, HTML (XML) et al? If I keep Windows XP, would I be able to use Linux and UNIX also.?

I'm not exactally sure what you are asking here, since you have quite a mix of OSs and languages, and data formats.

Most compilers are designed to compile ONE language on ONE platform. If you are looking to develop your software on one system, and have it distributed to several different platforms, you need to use either a scripting language, or something like java that compiles into code that needs an interperter to run it.

I don't have much experiance with java. When I develop a system that has to be used by many different systems, I look towards web based systems that are controlled by server-side code to prevent needing to deal with each platform.

I hope this helps, otherwise, please re-phrase your question to help us understand exactally what you are trying to do.

Best of luck
    Ben Martin :-D
    programmer

• shirldivashirldiva Member Posts: 35
    : : Can someone suggest a compiler that will compile applications in multiple languages and work on Windows XP. Let's say RPG, Linux,
    : : UNIX, COBOL, Java, HTML (XML) et al? If I keep Windows XP, would I be able to use Linux and UNIX also.?
    :
    : I'm not exactally sure what you are asking here, since you have quite a mix of OSs and languages, and data formats.
    :
    : Most compilers are designed to compile ONE language on ONE platform. If you are looking to develop your software on one system, and have it distributed to several different platforms, you need to use either a scripting language, or something like java that compiles into code that needs an interperter to run it.
    :
    : I don't have much experiance with java. When I develop a system that has to be used by many different systems, I look towards web based systems that are controlled by server-side code to prevent needing to deal with each platform.
    :
    :
    : I hope this helps, otherwise, please re-phrase your question to help us understand exactally what you are trying to do.
    :
    : Best of luck
    : Ben Martin :-D
    : programmer
    :
    :Hi Ben,

Here is the deal. I already know RPG, COBOL, CL. I am learning Java and HTML. I will soon be learning UNIX and C. I want to learn Linux.
    How would I go about making it to where I will be able to compile any of these, at any given time, on my PC w/Windows XP as the OS? Do you understand a lil better now? Sorry for not having been crystal clear at first.
    :

: : [b][red]This message was edited by shirldiva at 2003-1-29 13:30:45[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by shirldiva at 2003-1-29 13:25:19[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Can someone suggest a compiler that will compile applications in multiple languages and work on Windows XP. Let's say RPG, Linux,
    : : UNIX, COBOL, Java, HTML (XML) et al? If I keep Windows XP, would I be able to use Linux and UNIX also.?
    : :
    :
    :
    : java maybe?
    :
    :
    Thank you.
  • garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    I don't know RPG or CL, but I'd say your best choices for this would be either JAVA because of the way that it compiles, and then the binary is run through the Java Virtual Machine, or possibly COBOL. I only worked with it a bit on a mainframe, but if I remember correctly, you don't actually compile, but interpert the scrips.

I would stay away from compiled languages for designing systems that you want to compile once, since BSD, LINUX, and Windows are not compatible without emulators. To run a windows application on a linux box, you would either have to re-compile under linux, or run through an emulator like WINE.

Ben Martin :-D
    programmer

: I don't know RPG or CL, but I'd say your best choices for this would be either JAVA because of the way that it compiles, and then the binary is run through the Java Virtual Machine, or possibly COBOL. I only worked with it a bit on a mainframe, but if I remember correctly, you don't actually compile, but interpert the scrips.
    :
    : I would stay away from compiled languages for designing systems that you want to compile once, since BSD, LINUX, and Windows are not compatible without emulators. To run a windows application on a linux box, you would either have to re-compile under linux, or run through an emulator like WINE.
    :
    :
    : Ben Martin :-D
    : programmer

Thanks Ben. I had never heard of the emulator. When I did program I did it from a remote terminal. Everything was taken care of by the people in charge of the system.
    :
    :
    :